Bedford dif leaking advice please

rippo

Hello,

i'm after picking the brains of the forum again. I've been wire brushing the back axle of the mw. Whilst doing the diff cover and the surrounding bolts, i noticed one of them is a stud a nut rather that a bolt. Firstly I can't remember if this was the way they were made or it has been a repair at some time, should they all be bolts?

Once i had cleaned the paint off the stud, it started to leak oil. on closer inspection there is a hole in the middle of the stud, as shown.

100_0985.jpg

If it is supposed to be a bolt, it should be easy enough to repair, otherwise what would be my best solution?

Also looking at the other side of the dif

100_0986.jpg

I guessing the round object is the end of a bolt holding the crown wheel in place?

This also has a slight leak, but i havent take the paint off it yet so it may get worse. If i am correct and it is a bolt it probably wants some ptfe on it, so its the diff cover off and remove the bolt. Am i safe to do this without effecting the alignment of the crown wheel. Or am i completely wrong?

Thanks in advance.

Hello,

i'm after picking the brains of the forum again.

Rippo,

That stud is the breather and should be at the top of the axle, check if the top hole goes right through, if it is a blind hole, then fit the stud in the second hole down.

The other point you show, is the end of one of the bolts holding diff bearing cap in place. Seems odd for it to leak, unless bolt is not tight. If you remove cover and bolt, to seal the threaed, don't take both bolts out, do one at a time.

Thank you richard, your a gentleman.

I was thinking maybe it was a breather, i'll get it moved. Just out of interest do you think the breather being blocked could cause any other problems? The hub seals are leaking, there on my list of things to do!! Usual locking up in reverse and oil on tyre. I going to put new ones in (i'll be picking you brains again) but just wondered if the breather being blocked could cause it.

I picked a diff gasket up off ebay a couple of weeks back. So i'll take the cover off and have a look at the bolt, now i know what it is.

Thanks again

Thank you richard, your a gentleman.

I was thinking maybe it was a breather, i'll get it moved. Just out of interest do you think the breather being blocked could cause any other problems?

The breather being inop, would result in pressure build up, and if the pinion seal is not leaking then it puts pressure on the hub seals. Strictly speaking, a hub seal leak should not get on the brakes, because of a shield arrangement in the hub which funnels any leak away and out through the backplate, but these holes could be blocked with mud and paint, so make sure they are clear.