Stalwart diving.

Swill1952xs

Question

As a lover of heavy transport, the Alvis Stalwart has always fascinated me as do most amphibious vehicles. In one section on here I saw what can only be described as an act of total lunacy. Anyone who would launch a Stalwart off a river bank at speed and "Dive" into a river in the way shown; must have a serious death wish. I'm glad I wasn't a passenger at the time, being a non swimmer.

The point of this post being to ask a few questions about this wonderful piece of engineering.

1- Is the cargo body part of the vehicles buoyancy equipment. ie, if it filled with water, would it still float?

2- Is the vehicle designed to "Self right" in water. ie, if it rolled sideways down a bank into water?

3- In the event of it briefly becoming submerged, as in a dive into water; is there any protection for the engines air intake to stop water being drawn into the engine? (Via the air intake)

4- How much does a Stalwart weigh, and how much weight can it carry in water.

5- Are the hulls completely watertight, or do they rely on a bilge pump to remove water from inside?

6- Should the driver of the Stalwart in the video be committed as a loony?

I regularly see a couple of Stalwarts on the roadside between Cooksbridge and South Chailey in East Sussex. (A 275) The one that really interests me has a Hiab fitted to it. The owner has had several Army land Rovers there at times too, including the most interesting of those, being a forward control version? :)

Well..........

I was going to cancel my membership, but being stupid, I couldn't find out how to do that........and to add insult to injury; my friends list is empty too.

As Richard said stick with it... if there's a problem we (Mods) are the first to spot it & would soon let you know... can't see anything wrong here & we have received no complaints....

I hope to see some of your vehicles at both shows next year......but I wont be proudly introducing myself. I will be the one shuffling past looking a bit sheepish.:-(

This is the friendly forum, all is forgiven, make yourself known, life's too short for Gloomy feelings!

Edited by gritineye

Funny story about a Reo as that didn't work when a friend got his stuck in the thames at Chiswick in 1997. He was delivering bricks for a friend on a job on a bit of river where there is an island called Chiswick eyt (i think). Our friend got stuck in the mud on the river bank and couldn't get it out and so he had to leave it there. Later on the high tide came and it got fully submerged. After a few phonecalls the whole club was involved and there were several rescue attempts. The police were called aswell. In the end i think it was there for a few days and eventually got recovered by Mario at low tide. It had all water and silky mud n crap on it. But it still runs to this day.

I think that this took place from Lepe on the coast of the New Forest, to IoW. We were at a MV event there and a certain red Stalwart powered by a K60 diesel went down the beach into the sea, from our vantage point above the beach, we could see it progressing fairly well until it got into a cross current. An Inshore Lifeboat went out to it as it was drifting more than making headway, eventually it seemd to make progress and we all watched till it drove up the beach on the island. The return journey was also watched and after a time it made it back to the beach only to bog down crossing the groins and had to be pulled over them, by a wrecker.

If i remember right , they camped on hayling beach, 2 stollies and a centour. i thought they went in at the hayling ferry. i think they made it to the I O W but had to beach for some reason.