One for Vets Dottir..

Jack

Now Carman - I reckon we need a full back ground history of your goodself...sounds like you have great passion and knowledge in the whole of this field...

Now back to answer you properly (now you've put me on the spot ... payback for my cheek perhaps? :D:P )

For starters, I don't have any great knowledge of the military history

and vehicles, or military types and lifestyles until the last few years ... maybe "awareness of them via military types for the history and green machines" is more accurate description for me ... in other words, my interests in family history brought me into this world and circles in about 2003, and I've picked up some of the info and interests, and a LOT of friends along the way. I have absolutely no military background, nor did I mingle with military types until from 2003.

In 2003, my Uncle Eddie opened these doors for me to military history and types and an amazing learning curve about all sorts of things. A whole new world for me :)

When I found out that I could find geneological info online, I started searching out info ... and Uncle Ed ended up taking the lead when I found him listed/remembered in the Canadian Virtual War Memorial site ... he was a huge mystery to me from early childhood and I had always wanted to know ... "What REALLY happened to Uncle Eddie!" ... any time the topic of him ever came up in childhood it was a big hurt sad thing. No one talked much. My intentions from the beginning were simple ... to do up family trees for my kids, and then I wanted to do little biological blurbs. A kind of passing along the family history. My family history is not simple and linear ... it's kinda complex with lots of twists and turns of people :D

Of course I couldn't leave it at researching only my Uncle Ed ... I had to also find out about other relatives who served ... and so on and so on ... I have a lot of info yet to be organized and sorted out, written up ... how ever will I do that I don't know, but it's an ongoing project for me that I need to get back to.

Meanwhile, I don't know much about the vehicles, technically, although some I can recognize what they are and even when and how they were used. What i DO know for sure is how much people love finding and restoring, and helping each other to do all that. I love mingling and learning all sorts of things.

I think the biggest thing would be that military types appreciate and care about service and sacrifice and really value my relatives who served. That means a lot to me.

I really can't think straight at the moment, but will post what I've just written anyways, and maybe we can just let this thread evolve :D

By the way ... I know many in the field via online only, although I have met a number of people in person!!! I have not met Richard F. in person yet :D

Gotta have a coffee right now! :coffee::-D

And conversly, Carman, it is just wonderful when (just occasionally) a vehicle which someone has restored is reunited with its original driver, or a veteran who drove the same type in service. Then the stories really do flow! It adds an extra dimension to the fascination of keeping these old vehicles alive :)

Tony

And conversly, Carman, it is just wonderful when (just occasionally) a vehicle which someone has restored is reunited with its original driver, or a veteran who drove the same type in service. Then the stories really do flow! It adds an extra dimension to the fascination of keeping these old vehicles alive :)

Tony

I've seen that happen too, in forums I've belonged to and stories from people :) I imagine that finding the actual vehicle you drove or rode in is an incredible find (the ODDS!!!! WOW) and must send shivers (good and bad shivers) down their spine!

Yes .... if vehicles could talk, eh? Knowing its history is amazing and that's a very large part of my own fascination with them, and I do love seeing so many into lovingly restoring them and their history, and in the doing, honouring those who drove and rode in them.

I've "sat and rode" in different vehicles, seen many up close and personal, touchy-feely-lookie, but have never been inside a tank or a dukh (spelling???) fascinating to watch the carrier driver driving as I rode in one and can only imagine soldiers crammed into them and being bumped, jerked and bruised from riding the land!!! Yes ... definately fascinating vehicles all round!!!