London air raid tunnel for sale

I think that is one half of the old kingsway tram tunnel,thats in Holborn.You can see the closed entrance from holborn itself.the other end,is what now is the kingsway underpass from waterloo bridge.

No that is a separate and much shallower tunnel. Photos of the tram tunnel can be found at: http://www.abandonedstations.org.uk/Kingsway_tram_tunnel.html, which as you can see is basically cut and cover construction. If you look at the photographs of the tunnels that are for sale these have been bored using a shield.

The interesting thing was that they were built to a larger diameter than the standard tubes to permit them them to be used post-war for an RER type system using full-size main line trains. The four lengths of tunnel built were aligned so that they could be subsequently extended and joined up. Unfortunately the economic realities of post-war Britain prevented anything coming of the scheme. There was a brief 'now it can be told' piece about them in a immediately post war edition of The Railway Magazine, but I have just briefly looked at my 1946 volume and cannot find the reference - I will dig further.

Edited by Bystander
typos