Saw this on my hols.

fv1609

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)
Instow?

I thought that marine bit would be a clue,i couldnt remember the name i had a holiday there about 20yrs ago,watched them landing DUKWs from Landing craft.was surprised they still had them.

Instow?

Yes, good man.

As a small boy in the 1950s I was very enthralled by a pair of DUKWs that just appeared out of the water onto the beach at Westward Ho! round the coast.

About 10 years ago I was metal detecting at Crow Point which is rather desolate place on the other side of the river. I noticed some tyre marks on the beach couldn't see any marks on the dunes though. I carried on then an hour later a grey DUKW drove ashore about 20ft away & sped across the beach then back into the water.

Obviously faster on land. Each day I took a camera but no more sightings.

This time I was further up river & saw a landing craft go for a spin before lunch. After lunch these two Hovercraft came out to play.

A lot of the time they were in a fixed location, but revolving on a rough bit of river, no doubt for driver training in trying to keep in one place.

Dscf8747a.jpg

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)

I knew we would get there Tim,i just couldt remember the name,i remember the lady i went with.we could see the sand from the window,when the tide went out you couldnt see the water.

I think you might be right Tim, Snapper is in N. Devon.

Good bit of detection work there. On a pig thread Adam asked where I stayed, I rather unhelpfully said in a caravan, in case the detectives were working it all out!

As for odd names which if you are local aren't odd. I am a couple of miles from Nomansland then a few more miles there is Lover.

Good bit of detection work there. On a pig thread Adam asked where I stayed, I rather unhelpfully said in a caravan, in case the detectives were working it all out!

As for odd names which if you are local aren't odd. I am a couple of miles from Nomansland then a few more miles there is Lover.

I was a bit slow Clive, trying to work out where Hovercraft were made/used and then finally dawned :idea:on me about the Snapper bit but when I went to post Tim had beaten me to it.:-D