ww11 trailer???????help

berni

does anyone know what this is.

It is slightly smaller than the GS trailer with less metal used in the make up.

the springs are under the body as opposed to outside as well.

I've heard it could possibly be airbourne but not having any reference pictures i can't tell.

any reply appreciated

cheers

berni

trailera005.jpg

trailera003.jpg

Hi Berni

Airborne jeep trailers had six stud wheels and no tailgate, GS trailers had five stud wheels. There is a pic ob the web of a GS chassis but it is different to yours. I know this doesn't help a lot but might narrow things down a bit.

Cheers

Degsy

Berni have a look at http://www.goatpark.force9.co.uk

The pics of the trailer on this site contradict the info I found and posted in my previous message. :?

I would think that the shock absorbers might help to identify it, many years ago I owned a 1937 MG TA and that was fitted with the same type of crude wood block friction shock absorbers so I assume this would date

it to some extent but hopefully someone will have seen something similar and come up with a definite identification.

Cheers

Degsy

I would think that the shock absorbers might help to identify it, many years ago I owned a 1937 MG TA and that was fitted with the same type of crude wood block friction shock absorbers so I assume this would date

it to some extent but hopefully someone will have seen something similar and come up with a definite identification.

Degsy,

The shock absorbers are Andre Hartford friction dampers, they have friction discs between metal ones and can be adjused. Spares still available.

Berni,

The chassis is not an Airborne one, called a 10 cwt Lightweight No.1, we have a Lightweight No.2 which is similar to the Airborne but a longer body and the strengthening ribs on the outside. I have scrapped a couple of sad Airbornes for the parts many years back. No, I think this could be for the previous 10 cwt Trailer G.S., some had wooden sides and there are signs that the metal uprights, on the corners, have been cut off to chassis level, also a drop tailboard was fitted. The Lightweights did not have a drop tailboard.

Richard