Armour Plate

Page

Question

5 answers to this question

You would have to have a hardness test carried out. This essentially consists of pressing a point or ball into the surface and measuring the force required. The problem is that different types of armour have widely differing surface hardness levels so you would need to have a known level to compare it to to be absolutely sure.

Of course if it came out as harder than mild steel, you would at least know it wasn't ms and therefore must be armour!

That would be, if on a White halftrack, face hardened armour. You can just about drill it from the soft, inside face. Shermans are homogenous armour and you can drill it quite easily with HSS bits. In fact, it was noted at the time that pre-1943 US armour was a little bit too soft. Armour, yes but not hard.

As I said, there is armour and there is armour!

That would be, if on a White halftrack, face hardened armour. You can just about drill it from the soft, inside face. Shermans are homogenous armour and you can drill it quite easily with HSS bits. In fact, it was noted at the time that pre-1943 US armour was a little bit too soft. Armour, yes but not hard.

As I said, there is armour and there is armour!

It's an International, but probably the same principle. I didn't know that about the Shermans. Interesting.

- Mike