Florence Commonwealth War Cemetery

The Florence Cemetery truly shows the participation of all the Commonwealth (and even of some allies, there is a Norwegian and some Yugoslavian graves, too) to the war effort.

Britons, South Afrikans, Canadians, Indians (Pakistani, Indians, Sikhs...), Gurkhas, Australians and Kiwis, I surely forgot someone.

A field is dedicated to the fallen from the Indian subcontinent and I was attracted by a group of graves of seventeen years old fallen. Their census records may have been approximate, but surely they have been sent to war very young.

2816685905_c212ca7987_b.jpg

2816688145_90c663fe36_b.jpg

2817538810_976f5d2f63_b.jpg

2816686315_0a08e6be0e_b.jpg

Good men of the 4th Indian Division. Alexander had 17 different nations under his command by the time the war ended. Italy was the true location of the Allied War effort. By the end, in the 8th Army, the British were almost in the minority, we'd run out of men. God bless them all.

Seeing these Indian graves always makes me sad. You should see them in Flanders around Armentieres and elsewhere. A cold flat unforgiving landscape. What must they have been thinking of when the time came?

Thanks for these snaps. Really lovely to see. I often like to contemplate an idea where we run a snap of a grave or memorial for every calendar day of the year - even February 29th (I've snapped one in France); which we could all contribute to. Regardless of nationality and even period....

Mofe daft ideas from Barnes