Bovington Tank Museum

Rlangham

Has anyone been here recently? Hopefully in Summer when I have my car i'll drive down to Dorset to go to the Tank museum among other things, and just wondered if it's worth the journey down there. I'm mostly interested in WW1 and WW2 armoured cars and tanks.

Hi Rlangham, I went 2 years ago when they had the spluttering+stalling Tiger, I would say its most deffantly worth a visit/s, its proabley best to go on a non event day then you can take your time and get good photos.

Hope this helps.

Tyler.

Hi,

for any armour fan this museum is a must :D (in my opinion) i would suggest you check out thier website and come down on a day when something else is happening even if it is just the fire power display (free).

Ashley

Just checked Tankfest is on this year come for the weekend if possible

Looks great on the website, hopefully i'll be spending at least one night maybe two in the area, so perhaps could go on the the day before or after the event, get all the photos I want (i've seen pics of the Morris Light Recce Car there, looks like it has it's doors open all the time so i'll have a look in there and if theres any guides try and get myself a sit in it), and then return on an event day to see the tanks in action.

• 2 weeks later...

Might be able to go during the next week or so (fingers crossed), it's a four hour drive though so hopefully be worth it. Has anyone been recently to comment on which bits are temporarily closed? Hope not too much of it is, might be my only chance to go for at least a year!

Might be able to go during the next week or so (fingers crossed), it's a four hour drive though so hopefully be worth it. Has anyone been recently to comment on which bits are temporarily closed? Hope not too much of it is, might be my only chance to go for at least a year!

You will be ok as my family were there when I was away in the States :twisted: :twisted: last week :cry:

You will adore it, take your time as there is so much to take in...............my family hate when we go to museums as I HAVE TO ( by law) read everything :shock:

Sweet, so it's all open? I'll have to make sure I still have two memory cards for my camera, will probably book an appointment to have a look at the archives and see if any of the guides will let me sit in the Morris Light Recce Car. Is there much else to do in the area? Might as well do as much as I can while i'm there.

Just rang up and apparently the British Steel hall is closed at the moment, what's in there? Hope that isn't the big hall with mostly WW2 stuff in it. Ringing back on Monday to speak to the curator to find out if I can get inside the Morris Light Recce Car.