Army Manual of Chiropody

fv1609

Just bought Army Manual of Chiropody 1931 on ebay. Nice & cheap as normal people aren't interested in these sorts of books :roll:

Caught my eye the sense of discipline gets everywhere:

At the command "Foot Exercise No.4" place feet parallel six inches apart; at the command "One" bend the toes upwards; at the command "Two" bend the toes down; at the command "Three" bring the toes to normal position. Repeat eight times"

Far easier to say "Chaps just wriggle your toes up & down for a bit". But I suppose it wouldn't look so impresive as a sanatorium of troops doing toe movements by numbers & in unison. :wink:

• 1 month later...

I vividly remember the command 'foot bin to you front,watch and clip'

And who can forget the basic timing

WAHN - TOE -THREE - WAHN ! :lol:

Stand easy

Really Clive how do you find these treasures....suppose by knowing where to look you've got your foot in the door before the rest of us

regards Jerry from dark dorset home to some VERY strange beings :roll:

Jerry

The unusual doesn't usually interest normal people - by definition. So there is less competition.

If there is a manual on a gun it will be very much sort after & hence more expensive than say a manual that I bought at Malvern on how to build field latrines in India with self closing lids. I find the technicalities of how to go to the lavatory safely of more use to mankind than ways of killing each other.

Having taken that tone, I have to confess I did buy the training manual on the LMG on ebay. It didn't go too high as I don't think it was realised in was the book on the Bren gun!

There are two manuals I am after EMER POWER N 109 - The types of hose clips used on B Series Engines & the Manual of Army Noticeboards and dimensions thereof. Amazing they can wrire a whole book on it :?

a manual that I bought at Malvern on how to build field latrines in India with self closing lids. I find the technicalities of how to go to the lavatory safely of more use to mankind

Clive,

You are hereby nominated to be OiC of Latrines for Beltring week. You had better arrive early, there are a lot to do. Just make sure they are downwind :lol: :lol: :lol:

Richard

Richard

That particular book "Field Service Hygiene Notes India 1940" has over 600 pages of useful tips. Maybe a few tricks in there that Beltring campers could learn from or more to the point the organisers when you consider the following.

The logistics of all that sort of thing & the maintenance of health makes the most sophisticated weaponery & cunning plans mean nothing if a soldier has eg dysentery. There is no easy way to put this but when you go back to manuals of 1912 & up to the mid century it explains that a battalion (1000 men) produce solid matter of 4.5 cu ft per day. Manuals of the 1970s to the present are far too polite to mention this sort of data, but from a planning & admin point of view it must be just as important today as it ever was. But nobody can mention matter of fact details like that even in the Army, how strange.

OK Richard what sort of flags should be flown over the blue plastic boxes to indicate their function? There were special flags for the purpose.

a battalion (1000 men) produce solid matter of 4.5 cu ft per day.

OK Richard what sort of flags should be flown over the blue plastic boxes to indicate their function? There were special flags for the purpose.

Clive,

Thats an awful lot of sh*t, either that or its a load of cr*p.

Flags over portaloos

Red - in use

Blue - Vacant

Yellow - Caution, could be hazardous.

Green - Previous occupant had beer and curry last night

Black - Phoorrrrr - smells like something just died.

White - No toilet paper.

Have I missed any??

Richard

Thats very ingenious, perhaps we need one for. "I might be a little while, don't waste your time queing up for this one just yet".

What I had in mind was official flags. Now this was covered in an article so you clearly have not read it thoroughly enough.

Flag01.jpg

Within those groups there are different requirements and expectations of the equipment & facilities. One set of facilities is not necesesarily better than the other but they are different as custom dictates & users expect & demand. Of course within those user groups facilities will be further segregated according to rank or caste. eg privates, NCOs & officers.