WW1 Artillery & Tank production photos

Marmite!!

What fantastic photos. Where did they come from? It looks like the Fosters factory in Lincoln. Wonderful.

Tim (too)

Hi Tim,

the Factory is the Westwood Works Peterbough (Baker-Perkins) I'll dig out a link for you.

Cheers Lee

Agree really interesting pix, such a lot of period detail, like having vices presumably for a lot of hand fettling of parts, one appears to have a camshaft in it, and how about the complete lack of any exhaust system at all on the generators :shocked:

Thanks for posting those.

Agree really interesting pix, such a lot of period detail, like having vices presumably for a lot of hand fettling of parts, one appears to have a camshaft in it, and how about the complete lack of any exhaust system at all on the generators :shocked:

I think these engines could well be on load test, coupled to dynamometers. Another photo show a lot of the same type of engine, being assembled and these installed engines can be seen in the background.

I think these engines could well be on load test, coupled to dynamometers. Another photo show a lot of the same type of engine, being assembled and these installed engines can be seen in the background.

Looks like you're right there Richard, I had noticed the installed ones, but not thought it through, the gauges beside and in the opening above gave the impression of generating.

It appears on closer inspection that the fist two have got exhausts connected up and going through the wall above :red:. The manifolds must have the bottom flange blocked off, they also have bigger coolant tanks/systems on the wall. There does not appear to be holes for exhausts above the the second two,

Maybe what is happening is that the ones with exhausts are running under load and the power being produced is used to gently run in the other two before moving them over and firing them up, hence no exhausts on those.

Maybe what is happening is that the ones with exhausts are running under load and the power being produced is used to gently run in the other two before moving them over and firing them up, hence no exhausts on those.

Bernard,

That is quite possible, I seem to recollect that Rolls used to motor new car engines with electric motors, for a period, to bed in before starting them.

Bernard,

That is quite possible, I seem to recollect that Rolls used to motor new car engines with electric motors, for a period, to bed in before starting them.

That's what is so good about old photos, a lot can be learned about old ways that may have been forgotten, or jog memories, what will happen when everything is digital and hidden away on old CDs etc? We won't just find them lying in attics then, not really progress.

That's what is so good about old photos, a lot can be learned about old ways that may have been forgotten, or jog memories, what will happen when everything is digital and hidden away on old CDs etc? We won't just find them lying in attics then, not really progress.

How right you are, Bernard.

Some of these old photos have terrific detail because of the size of negative, or glass plate used. By looking at the two engine photos together it is possible to understand a bit more.