Some photos I took last year whilst on holiday in the Somme. Here is a selection for those of you that are interested. I have named them with their location and if you search that location on the marvellous WWW you will come up with far more commentary of more detail than I can give.

I hope they inspire some of you to take a tour. You can loose yourself for hours in all these locations. The shear numbers involved I still cannot comprehend.

I have more to come as I sort them out.

Auchonvillers trench to aid station.jpg

Auchonvillers 02.jpg

Auchonvillers 03.jpg

Auchonvillers 04.jpg

Beaumont-Hamel Newfoundland Memorial.jpg

Beaumont-Hamel Newfoundland Memorial 02.jpg

Beaumont-Hamel THE TREE.jpg

Beaumont-Hamel Trenches and craters still visible.jpg

Beaumont-Hamel.jpg

Hi Mark, stayed at Avrils place for 4 nights whilst exploring the area and she spoilt us rotten. I think I am still bruised from a thumping she gave me, can’t remember what it was over, but the group I was with fell about crying with laughter. The dressing station was a very sobering experience, and I shall return soon as 5 days was just not enough time to do the area around Albert justice.

A suggestion mate? if you haven't read it get Digging the Trenches' by Andrew Robertshaw and David Kenyon, they did the intial excavation at Avril's place.

If you want to met Andy Robertshaw, come to the Aldershot Militaria Society meeting on Thursday October 30th at 7pm at the Galpin Hall, Windsor Way, Aldershot (look for Holy Trinity Church) where he will be giving a talk on the 'Digging the Trenches' TV programme. No charge, but you can donate £1.

Some more photos of my trip to the Somme.

As Snapper has mentioned in one of his posts, the size of the Lochnagar crater cannot be explained with a picture, it really does need to be experienced to appreciate the scale. I have reduced the size of photo in all my posts as most of them seem to be 1-2 meg if anyone would like a copy of any of my pictures with more detail please pm me and I shall email you a full size copy.

albert.jpg

albert2.jpg

albert3.jpg

lochnagar2.jpg

lochnagar3.jpg

lochnagar4.jpg

Lochnagar crater.jpg

:-D I was lucky, so lucky, to be asked to take the Dodge out to the 90th Anniversary of the the First Day. Andrew Robertshaw was the organiser. We stood in Avril's Tea room, and he told me about the soldier found at Serre with the Jersey Penny in his pack, the rest as they say. Be careful one vist can lead to a lot of brain work, and in my case some major academic certificates.