B-17 Fortress 'Liberty Belle'

Jessie The Jeep

B-17 'Liberty Belle' has made a safe crossing over the Atlantic from the USA, following the WW2 North Atlantic ferry route, and arrived at Duxford today, July 4th, in preparation for the coming Flying Legends airshow next weekend.

Later today, the 'Belle' made a short flight to Biggin Hill, so perhaps the crew are doing a spot of sight seeing. They plan to fly to the 390th base at Parham, which is where pilot, Don Brooks', father flew from in the original 'Liberty Belle'. The aircraft is then set to appear along side B-17's 'Pink Lady' and 'Sally B' at the Flying Legends show ( if the 'Sally B' crew can fix a troublesome engine in time ).

Steve

• 4 weeks later...

I did in fact email the guy who organises flights with Liberty Belle in the States just before the trip, but have had no reply. Expect he was on holiday "somewhere in England".

Oh well, some of us will just have to slum it in 'Nine-0-Nine'. And please don't rub it more - we know you've experienced that one too :-D

mutter mutter mutter mutter envy but big thanks for the story and pics anyway Clive

The Collins Foundation are a very friendly and great bunch of people.

I had a personal interest in Nine-O-Nine long before my flight as I had met the pilot who flew the original back to the States in 1945 and also one of her regular ball turret gunners. Believe me, flying in her will not be a compromise in any shape or form!

I had worn a painted A2 jacket to school with the artwork of Nine-0-Nine on it for the last few years of school and 6th form and I wore this jacket on the flight - which the crew really admired.

If the budget allows (which mind didn't back in 1999) fly aboard the B-24 Witchcraft as well whilst you are there. Deuceman and Hercules took the B-24 flight in 2006 and said it was brilliant and the pictures certainly showed it.

The 91st Bomb Group, 1st Air Division will always be my first and foremost favourite out of the entire Eighth Air Force, but the three groups of the 13th Combat Wing, 3rd Air Division stationed in Suffolk do come a close second, which is why I choose to live in the heart of the big three - But flying aboard a Square J over Framlingham was indeed something very special and literally history in the making.

Edited by M5Clive

Just to follow up on M5Clive's note; it is increasingly difficult (and not cheap) to get a flight in these old aircraft, but it is an experience that stays with you!

It's not beyond the realms of possibility that with the ageing fleet of WW2 aircraft, it won't be too long before 'flight experiences' become just 'flight memories'.....

As with many things, when the missus wants to know where $400 went, it's easier to obtain forgiveness than permission - take the chance when you can!

M5Clive - you are still a jammy bug**r! :-)

Keep 'em Rolling

S.

As with many things, when the missus wants to know where $400 went, it's easier to obtain forgiveness than permission - take the chance when you can!

S.

Got a good solution to that Simon, - some of my enthusiasm has rubbed off and she's going to fly too!! :-D

Have to agree with you on "do it sooner than later" - no doubt insurance / aviation regulations will eventually ground these aircraft before they beome too tired to fly any more :-(

Tony