UK History TV

Jack

Been watching a great docu drama called D-Day to Berlin - narrated by Sean Bean. One of the best bits of TV I have watched for a long time.

Where do all of those re-enactor come from? They must be having the time of thier lifes.

- plus - I amazed that no one has built a replica of Monty's HQ trailer, that would be something really unique to see at shows.

To qoute Prince Bernhardt after Market Garden 'Holland cannot afford another Monty succes'. Yet he was reputed to care very deeply and not start anything till he could garuntee as much as possible the sfatey of his troops. Eisenhower even critised him for this stance.

I think I'd rather have served under some one like Monty than a glory-hunter like Patton!!

Maybe, but Patton would have kicked the troops to Arnhem and over the Rhine, probably driving one of the tanks himself...

It is very easy to argue who was better and to be honest i dont want to get drawn into such a debate. I do however remember my uncle who served under Monty from Normandy to the end of the war and who had the greatest respect for him say that Monty didnt waste the lives of the British soldiers. By 1944, the British manpower barrel was nearly dry and i guess he knew that replacements were increasingly hard to get. If you were the average soldier i think a leader who had a keen interest in preserving your life was the sort of chap you would want to follow.

Anyway, enough of this off topic.

So Jack, are you sure they were re-enactors and not just colour film made during the war by George(?) Stevens?

Tim (too)

So Jack, are you sure they were re-enactors and not just colour film made during the war by George(?) Stevens?

Tim (too)

No these were re-enactors Tim as I know Monty didn't look like that :-D

Looks like they were having a great time and recognised one of the Shermans and M5's..........