Getting Kitted Out

Dotty Dodge

Hi all

I have started buying bits and pieces of US kit for me to wear for when im out/going to shows as i want look the part! The dodge is baged up to 2nd armourd 41st armourd infantry so what do i wear ?

Standard infantry uniform eg m41 and mustards or/and a tankers jacket? or m43s

I also wanted to know where is the best place to by repro boots SoF have

2 diffrent pairs of roughout boots one at 49.99 and the other at 99.99.

and MPP have a pair for 75 i think ! Can anyone give any advice on who is ther best to buy from?

Im use to buying british kit as i am kitted out for 4th wilts regt and manged to get every think original i would like to do this in US kit but the prices seem stupid so repro will have to do!

Best Regards

Rowan

Hi DD

It depends on what year you want to represent, the M43 did not come into

general use until late '44 although I don't know if armoured infantry had them earlier,much the same applies to the roughout boots with attached

ankle gaiters. I have the 99.99 boots from SOF and find them excellent, a friend has the others and I would probably have got that type had they been available earlier.

S/hand uniform items often come for sale on Milweb.

Cheers

Degsy

Hi DD

I bought a pair of the £50 pattern ones 18 months ago from a German dealer, they are great, a bit glaring to start with but once they are dubbined and polished down they look good and feel super on, and are more waterproof than my corcorans that a few years ago were 3 times the cost.They also look good with the tops chopped off!

I wouldn't hesitate in investing in another pair

Rowan yes the 41st did land with the 2nd armored on D+3 ..the 66th armored regiment landing first with the 82nd recon and 41st Armored Inf landing later in the day.

The 67th Tank and HQ landing by sea the day after on D+4.

Uniform Regs were for the 41st Armored Infantry

M41 or Tankers Jacket

M37 Mustard Wool trousers

M1938 Leggings and "Roughout" Ankle boots

M1936 pattern "wool" shirt

2nd Armored Patch on shirt and Jacket

M1 steel helmet

web gear appropriate to your personal weapon.

You would have looked just like the regular infantry GI of 1944

Quick question....how accurate do you want your "impression" to be ? reason for asking is that a Dodge Wc would only have been issued to certain sub units of the 2nd Armored......

It would have been more common for a WC51 to be allocated to the MP platoon,Signals (Comm section) or (Wire Section),Medical Detachment or the Service Company of Div HQ.

2nd Armored MP platoon is nice as you get to have a nice YELLOW band round your helmet...... :shock:

Regards

Lloyd

NOOOOO Rowan you would be a field MP......not a Hollywood "snowdrop"...usual GI clothing....MP lettering on white on helmet...yellow band and regular blue and white MP armband.

Thompson or Carbine armed........and

Bumper markings on the WC would be

2 (triangle)-HQ-X........star P-1 or whatever number you wanted for your WC

JAAAAACCCCKKK...i need a picture hoster please...:-)

Regards

Lloyd

Service Company Troops Mad Man would have been dressed like "Glider Riders.....regular infantry clothing ,M1 steel helmet roughouts and leggings and web gear.

M1 Rifle or Carbine armed

82nd patch on arm and rank obviously..service company would normally have been technician grade.

Their duties involved repair/service/supply and keeping the front line troops "in action"

Regards

Lloyd

Hi Lloyd

Thanks You have been i big help! I really do need to start reseaching more on Us army in ww2! :oops:

Im so use to doing ww2 British uniforms! Well im going to start buy getting the kit to do a basic 1944 GI and then maybe change the markings at a later date! As i like the idea of an 2nd Armored MP.

Many Thanks

Best Regards

Rowan

NOOOOO Rowan you would be a field MP......not a Hollywood "snowdrop"...usual GI clothing....MP lettering on white on helmet...yellow band and regular blue and white MP armband.

Thompson or Carbine armed........and

Bumper markings on the WC would be

2 (triangle)-HQ-X........star P-1 or whatever number you wanted for your WC

JAAAAACCCCKKK...i need a picture hoster please...:-)

Regards

Lloyd

Didn't read this untill now but I can host pictures, n/p. Just email them to me

• 5 weeks later...

Hi All

I have bought a class A jacket for me to were to dances and in the evening at shows.

I want to badge it to 2nd armoured 41st armoured infantry. what badges do i need?

I take it i need a 2nd armourd patch on left arm, but what about on the collar ?

Also what about the pipeing on the cap does it have to be infantry or the armoured ?

Best Regards

Rowan

Hi Rowan,

I'm guessing you are talking Enlisted here? in that case the piping on the garrison cap would be blue,you would indeed have the 2nd armored patch on the left shoulder and on the collar you would have the disc with US on the right and the disc with crossed rifles for infantry on the left. towards the end of the war some units began to wear their distinctive insignia again,in which case you would have the DI's for the 41st Infantry on the lower lapels.

Straight and Stalwart!

Matt.

Hi Lloyd,

I'll take your word for it! I thought piping was for branch of service,eg a medic in an infantry unit would have medical corps piping etc. I have a named uniform to a guy in the 3rd Armored,cavalry recon and he wore yellow piping.

Cheers!

Matt.

Hi Rowan,

Take a look at ebay item number 6605031770,just what you need! if you do a google search for 41st infantry regiment you'll find a lot of info on them including the insignia.

Matt.

Matt he must have been a transferee then because only the 2nd and 3rd Armored retained the heavy armored unit status having its own generic recon unit...NOT cavalry recon unit or mechanised cavalry attached sub unit.....these guys in all the other 14 armored units recon outfits were generically CAVALRY not ARMOR troops.

its not WRONG to see an armored infantryman wearing blue piping its just not technically "correct"...

know what i mean.

You are correct in saying that attached units medics ,signals and artillery and engineers ALL wore their correct piped garrison caps

EXCEPT for the 2nd and 3rd Armored divisions.....it gets quite complicated sometimes....:-)

Regards

Lloyd