Handbrakes

gazzaw

Hi, I have a 43 GPW with no handbrake or even signs of one- everything is missing -replaced lever/handle on dash ready for rest but no cable or anything else for that matter. The transfer box casting where handbrake sits has no indication as to early expanding one and not sure what internal expanding rear casting looks like.

Can't find any decent drawings of a later one although loads of early ones exist.

Will be stripping down the box at some time so can change the back end if that is possible. T18 box with T90 gearbox.

Parts I will probably need -as cheaply as poss (2nd Hand)

1 casting if I require to change this to older version assy

1 Handbrake assy

1 Operating arm

1 Drum

1 Handbrake cable

2 Clips

1 Clevis pin

Gary

17052008156.jpg

HI

All I would suggest is that if you opt for an external contracting type,you 'build up' the corner of the 'L' shaped arm that operates onto the brake pad. This makes the brake come on 'quicker' and makes it easier to adjust. I'm told the brake is then capable of locking the wheels on the move. Otherwise adjustment is quite precarious. Mine caught fire! Hope this helps,

M

• 4 weeks later...

thanks, now opted for the internal type - ease of fitting, less parts to buy etc. just need a few pictures of how the cable for that type works and is affixed to lever and x member or tfer box etc

gary