GMC CCKW Shop Van

shopnut

CCKWWorkshop.jpg

This a shop van I bought back in April last year, it was supposed to have been restored, but I am starting again. I have only had the engine running a couple times, once to load on transporter and to take it off and put in a building, fitted all new plug leads, plugs points etc., but know will not start, found the battery leads in very poor condition, have now just replaced these and fitted a master switch above the spare wheel. The truck has no brakes, due to previous owner removing master cylinder and the 3rd axle wheel cylinders. Although it has a closed cab, the chassis number of 353-359616-1, which I think was made in 1944 with a open can cab, suspect the closed cab was fitted on a rebuild in Waiblingen Ordanance Rebuild Shop Feb. 1953. It still retains the original benches and metal drawers in van body. Will post more pictures at a later date, always looking for shop van parts. PS I lost the cover on the front van body, above passenger seat, whilst transporting home, probaly on the M25, if any one found it, would like it back !!!!!!

Well done Rob, glad to see that you have cracked how to post pictures and a fine looking truck too!

Please do keep up all up to date in this section with the restoration and please do share any tips or disasters that you come across so we can all learn from each other 8)

For me, a Shop Van is on my list for this year but this list does seem to get longer and longer :roll: I like the Vans as I like MV's that have had a 'theme' if you know what I mean - I quite like the support vehicles.

It is nice to see that it hasn't been converted to a camper and have you any pictures of the interior of the van?

Cheers and best wishes.

Jack.

Thanks Jack for helping with the pictures, but it seems to be playing up tonight otherwise I would have posted interior shots. Yes I am glad it was not a camper.

In answer to other forum replies, this is one of the reasons I bought it, its in good condition, for its age, little serious rust, original benches/metal drawers in van body, 10 really good bar treads, split axles with demountable brake drums, but realised there would be a lot of other work. If the brakes had been sorted, tuned up the engine it could have been run straight away, but I am a little fussy, just like things to be right, like the remade fuel tank, I am now in the process of finding a original tank, nothing wrong with the present tank but..................

Keep you posted.

19.jpg

Hi Jack. Picture of the interior, with the previous owners gear still there, the wooden drawers are a post war addition, I think. The truck was bought in the UK, but it came originally from Norway, there are a couple being advertised on Milweb, but they have the Swiss army van body, a post war conversion, unless anyone can say different.

It will take me ages to finish, spent 8 years on a Dodge WC53 Carryall, but thats another story.

Just realised this is not the picture it should be, a little problem with photobucket I suspect, this picture gives the manufactures detail of the workbenches.

• 3 weeks later...

Connectionsmadetomasterswitch.jpg

Fitted the master switch in postion, I can now isolate the battery, quickly in a emergency, without having to enter the body. As I do not like drilling holes, the switch is clamped to the crossmembers, above the spare wheel.

When I bought the truck, it was a problem to start, and as in previous post, now would not start at all, checking again Saturday, I realised the petrol was a strange colour and did not smell like it should, I obtained fresh petrol, correct colour & smell, hey presto, engine ran fine, apart from oil leaking from the top oil seal on filter, as I had not fitted correctly. Worth remembering petrol goes off, simple solution in the end.

Now thinking of removing body from chassis, sandblast & paint underneath, can also paint front of body and rear of cab.

• 2 weeks later...

71a5c8a5.jpg

edff9180.jpg

5.jpg

Having removed both wings, brushguard etc., the next step is having the engine, gearbox, front axle and chassis all steam cleaned. I will remove the radiator prior to cleaning, will be easier to access the inner chassis.

When I had the engine running there was a heavy noise, I thought from the crankcase, the good news on this is, that the water pump bearing is U/S, with the drive belt removed, the noise is not there, just as well I did not start to strip the engine, check the easy things first. As you will see from one photo, the drive belt is running out of line, the dynamo fan looks incorrect as those spacers between fan & pulley.

The engine coolant temperature seemed low, removed the thermostat, it was stuck open and the bellows fell apart, replaced with new stat which cost 50 pence from Stoneleigh last week, the £8.00 entry fee does not feel quite as bad now.

Went to remove lower radiator bracket securing nuts, readiness to remove for steam claening, nuts were rusty & seized, heres where a gas torch comes in handy, heated nuts red hot, let the red colour disappear, nuts came off with no problem.

Just need to rectify oil leak from fuel pump spindle.

Should I, as going this far remove the front timing cover and replace fibre timing gear??, but it will mean dropping the sump as well, why did they fit those 2 bolts to the timing cover from the engine side?, never mind all good fun.

• 1 month later...

Work has carried on at its slow pace, cylinder has now been removed along with camshaft. Found on a pressure test that all exhaust valves were leaking, exhaust valves & seats found in poor condition, will renew all exh. valves and cut seats. Changing fibre timing gear for the alloy type. I also found bolt welds broken to timing plate, these bolts secure front of engine through rubber mount to crossmember, will weld bolts to plate again.

Found a puller to remove front crank pulley and gear, this is what Jack wanted some while ago!!!

Its surprising how many parts there are from the engine area, now filled 2 table tops and the process begins to clean and paint them all.

Any one out there with a spare muffler, tailpipe and radiator support bracket, the one that secured to the bulkhead and top radiator frame, would like to hear from you.

Now have the correct fuel tank and a host of spare windows for the Van Body, from the Clubmobile team.

RIMG2709.jpg

RIMG2707.jpg