Ben Hur Question

Having largely completed the restoration on this Ben Hur that I ve had for 18 yrs. Which I purchased in the Netherlands it came straight from the Dutch Army , it has a modification which I have no idea why it was done or for what purpose . I m hoping someone can answer the riddle why they attached two cables that pass underneath the axle from front to back , there are no problems with the axle or frame that it would have been needed .I m thinking it might be to secure the trailer for shipping reasons but have never seen this on other trailers.

Trailer008.jpg

Trailer007.jpg

That looks very clean and nice, abn, just like mine should one day (I hope).

The cables - the only reason I can think of is they are safety straps - to limit travel of axle in order to prevent breakage of suspension etc when trailer becomes "airborne". Common practice on off-highway vehicles. Quite possibly a modification as a result of a nasty accident?

Don't think I would have done it that way though :confused:

I have two new questions for those who have either a Ben Hur or a TM if there is one ...

1. What is the weight of a wood body Ben Hur without canvas and racks.

2. What the weight of a wood body Ben Hur is with canvas and racks.

While I do have the trailer and pulled a few times with the CCKW ,I have never needed to know these details and trailer is not currently road registered so finding a public scale isnt an option .

I need these weights to figure out which set of Dolly's to purchace to make moving it simplier in the garage and if I can tow the trailer with a smaller vehicle than the CCKW.