Coat, Mans, Mounted Regiments

I was wondering if anyone could give me some more info on this black greatcoat made by Hobson & Sons (London) Ltd? I have tried googling it, but can’t find anything of significance. It looks like the NSN is 8405-99-973-4071, but all I can find for that is ‘Coat, Mans’.

Just curious as to what era it is, which regiments might have used it, what else it was worn with etc. Thanks for any help.

IMG_1589.jpeg

IMG_1590.jpeg

Is it actually black or navy blue?  What buttons does it have?

As for era - well it isn't that old as it has a NATO stock number, but, equally, the size is given in 'old money'.  That suggests 50s or 60s, possibly 70s, I'd have thought, but, if towards the later end of that period I would have expected to have come across it myself.  I can't, though, recall ever seeing one, but it might be a coat used with a form of 'undress uniform' - for exercising horses in London that sort of thing while wearing No1 dress rather than full dress.  But I'm only guessing.

Thanks. It is definitely black and has leather buttons.

I also assume it is some sort of ‘undress’ / non-parade garment. It has buttoned epaulets,, hip pockets, hooked collar and a split skirt at the back. Otherwise it is fairly basic and only the arms are lined.

Then I'm flumoxed!  Is there any possibility it could have been dyed?  The leather buttons suggest tampering as, by rights, it would have had regimental buttons or, possibly, those of the Royal Arms.  Plain black buttons - very odd, particularly as cavalry are very much associated with brown leather - some donkey-walloper regiments - can't remember which now, used to have plain brown buttons on officers' SD, for example.

It’s possible the buttons are replacements. I agree they don’t look very military and they’re a slightly tight fit in the button holes.

I don’t think it’s been dyed black - at least there’s no trace of dye on the cloth label or the lining in the sleeves. On the other hand, the stitching around the button holes isn’t black and stands out against the cloth. 

Yes, it’s a bit mysterious.