Bedford OXD, early and late models - differences?

There is information coming out about two new kits of the Bedford OXD in 1:35 scale.  The producers, Riich Models, state that they will be selling an early version as well as a late version.  Apart from the photo-etch in these images, does anyone have knowledge on what other differences are between the two?  Can you point me to photos and plans which would help with my preparatory research, in readiness for starting a build please?

bedford_oxd_early.jpg.54ff86cfc761d639b3af7e5fb73e81a0.jpg

bedford_oxd_late.jpg.f5b4ac050fb08a0a4c4899896ba12a2b.jpg

cheers,
Mike

Edited by Royal42
  • Like 1

• Royal42 changed the title to Bedford OXD, early and late models - differences?

In summary, though there will be others on here more expert in this department than me: the early ones had civilian pattern wheels, wooden bodies, oval, meshed cut-outs in the bonnet sides, larger headlamps and, probably other differences.  Later ones had WD-pattern split rim wheels of a different size, steel bodies, smaller headlamps and the cut-outs in the bonnet sides were punched with a pattern.  And, of course, there would be differences in markings and paintwork.  Here are comparison photos.  I cannot acknowledge ownership - if any - as I don't know.  They came from the internet.

image.png.297f0b50caf49743b1706e84d2fff153.png

image.png.fba55de5d983c7d3bd18c22475f0ed86.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for those details, I didn't realise that the later version had steel sides.  I had presumed that they kept to wooden sides due to the shortages of steel.  Would you know if the cargo deck was also upgraded to steel or did that part remain wood?

cheers,

Mike

4 hours ago, Royal42 said:

Thanks for those details, I didn't realise that the later version had steel sides.  I had presumed that they kept to wooden sides due to the shortages of steel.  Would you know if the cargo deck was also upgraded to steel or did that part remain wood?

cheers,

Mike

No, I'm afraid I can't help there.  I don't have any detailed knowledge of these vehicles (or anything else, much, come to that) only external details.  But, I'm sure someone on here will be able to help.

• Like 1