Staff car advice sought!

There do not seem to be many (any?) WW2 era staff cars out there for sale ( advert paced here in the classifieds and I have looked elsewhere, but...).  So I am thinking of buying suitably dated civvy car and doing the olive drab thing - eg with a Hillman Minx.  Now I know certain models had distinct military versions, eg Austin 7 and 8 and Humbers, but for something like a Minx or (?????)  were they indeed just civvy cars that were slopped over with camo' paint, albeit maybe with minor mods such as deleted chrome (??).

Edited by matchlesswdg3

Cars built under contract for the Military in the early war years as follows:
Austin 8hp, 10hp,
Hillman 10hp, 14 hp
Humber Super Snipe, Snipe mk2 saloon, Snipe Heavy Utility, Pullman
Standard 10 hp
Vauxhall 14 hp series J1, 25 hp series G
In addition there may well have been some civilian impressed cars from various manufactures added to the mix there are 616 ''Cars Various impressed'' listed in the Chilwell lists with early army registrations and there could have been many more,
Ford is not listed as a supplier of cars at this early stage of the war but that is not to say that some did not find their way to France.

From part the discussion on "BEF Field Cars". 

https://ww2talk.com/index.php?threads/bef-field-cars.68835/

• Like 1

You can add pretty much any useful British saloon from the late 30s - there are pictures of Wolseleys being used for ATS driver training on the internet and here is a photo of a couple of Ford Prefects in France with the BEF

image.jpeg.2b28fe9a2b26f78d246d278edc14d2d2.jpeg

• Like 2