Royal Marines M38A1 (?!)

ltwtbarmy

Posted (edited)

It's not something I've ever come across, so would love to see what the collective wisdom of the forum comes up with. This was an exercise in Malta in 1960 (St George's bay, close to where the RM were garrisoned), and I had to look twice before I realised that it wasn't an Austin Champ I was looking at, but an M38A1 (or Willys MD).

This is from a set of pics, one of many thousands uploaded recently on the IWM website, and looks like an exercise showing what the RM could do, for what looks like the visiting General Officer Commanding Malta Garrison. 

I know the RM trialed a number of vehicles. Was the M38A1 one of them?

https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/206129567

large_MAL_60_153_A_000032.jpg

Edited by ltwtbarmy
Location info added

what l can tell you is a number jeep types were trialed by FVRDE  over the years and included those made in the USA as well those from other countries. One which l would like to recreate involves the M38AI as a number of this model were converted  to do a number of roles but not taken up if l can get rid of the ferret then l will do it

Hi Wally. In fact, when I spoke about the "collective wisdom", I did have you in mind, so thanks a million for answering. Are there any records at all of what was trialed, how many, and if there's anything regarding this one, which obviously spent some time in Malta. A VRN would be the dream answer, or maybe a report (or an extract thereof), but as I said in my original post, any information is welcome!

lt's taken a bit of finding there it seems there where three M38A1 Trialed one 13 BT 54 fitted  with mine detector transferred to fort HALSTED sold   to a member of staff after trials the one l would like to recreate which was scrapped the third was given a number of 01 WA 12 which l was told indicated that it was not a prototype but  been  assess by MEXE this could be the RM one but may have been given a RN number after trials. One l had not come across before land-rover 86 inch fitted with independent front suspension trialed 31/8/56

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Now there’s a result. Thanks for taking the time Wally. From my end, will go through the 1960 Malta pics, and see if it pops up again somewhere else. Annoyingly, the same set of pics doesn’t show this vehicle again, so will have to trawl through a few hundred pics just for 1960 alone on what is a very slow website.

Once again Wally, thank you for taking the time. Your archive is something I would love to get my hands on. It’s priceless!

And of course, no B cards available in the RLC archive…….ho hum.

Edited by ltwtbarmy