Singapore - British Army vehicles in the 1950s

10FM68

http://www.35-ofp-kluang.co.uk/rg/index.asp

The above link is to a site where a former soldier records some of his experiences from being a member of 35 Ordnance Field \park in Singapore in the middle 50s.  There are some very interesting photographs of British Army vehicles in good definition. One thing which is apparent: they were kept in immaculate condition and another thing of interest is the front diff being painted white with the unit number stencilled on!  All sorts there: Fordsons, Explorer, Diamond T, a nice Humber Snipe...

Well worth a browse!

• Like 1

Got to admire their solution for transporting a Land Rover to the workshops, mk2 Scammell Explorer and 20 ton low loader. Reminds me of an in service Explorer with a green Minivan on suspended tow parked outside a cafe on the A5 at Cricklewood around 1979.

RG133.jpg

Could even be three!  2 green ones and a light-coloured one.  The photo with the line-up on the square with the Bedford OYDs is interesting: down the far end a couple of Dodge WC series - both w/winches, I think, a CMP No13 cab, a Tilly, some Ford WOT2s (1 tonners by this stage, I presume), a Pioneer and, is that the Snipe in the far distance?

I do like these photos - as most of you know, it is the era I find most interesting and under-represented on the MV scene - which is a shame as the vehicles then were probably in their prime as far as being looked after was concerned, even if most of them were pretty knackered by then.  Certainly, though, the liveries were interesting and smart. 

Edited by 10FM68