Jeep Clutches

Centurion

Hi all

I have a 64 Hotchkiss which is in good nick ( well apart from the usual odd bits of corrosion from standing outside on a french air field for a lot of its life) It drives and runs well BUT when on the move and you disengage the clutch to change gear there is a rattle from that area which isnt there when the clutch is engaged. It doesnt slip. does it need adjusting or can i ignore it until the clutch needs replacing :?:

Centurion

Hi centurion,

when the clucth pedal is pressed to the floor my 45 gpw gives off what i can describe best as a "rubbing" noise, this is also due to thrust bearing wear. This noise has been there for at least two years :(

But as it no major problem i don`t see the point of carrying out the gearbox removal task as the vehicle is still fully operational.

Ashley

Thanks for the info gents

I was hoping that it will be ok to leave until the clutch does need replacing which Ashley confirmed. But the noise sounds more like someone shaking a wheel nut in a beer can any views on leaving that until something more serious develops. :?:

Thanks again Centurion

I do agree that there's no need to pull the gearbox unless you really have to. But if do you might aswell replace everything that way you won't need to pull it out agian in 6 months.

It's really up to you how long you want to put up with the thrust bearing noise.