Old "B" tax disc

Great War truck

I have some across this tax disc on a 1930's commercial truck. It states SR Williams (the operator) bagged coal and coke 25 miles off base. Expires 30.03.60 with a large letter B over the top.

I asked Dad about it and he said

During the War Years and for a further few years after, the Bread Vans also had to have a "C" licence - a licence to be able to carry "Goods" and it was a restriction as to what they could do and be used for. (Think of rationing in those days). I see that this licence has a large letter "B" on it and I am guessing that is a similar thing. I am guessing that the restriction mentioned on that licence was a similar restriction and explained by the "B".

I would have thought by 1960 that proper printed licences were available. Can anybody add some more information please?
Thanks
Tim

Licence disc.jpg

An A license was for public carriers to carry goods belonging to others for reward, a B license included the ability to carry own goods as well, and the C license was for carrying own goods only. There were various, different, restrictions (which varied over time) on each type of license, including distances over which they were valid, hence the '25 miles from base' on the disc. The licenses applied vehicle by vehicle, so a vehicle owner might have vehicles with different licenses, and their issue was restricted. The system came into existence 1/4/1934 under the Road and Rail Traffic Act of 1933 https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/Geo5/23-24/53/introduction/enacted. I don't know when it ceased; early 1960s possibly?

• Like 1

Still being used in 1964 as I have a copy of C Licence Yearbook 1964 as published by Traders Road Transport Association Ltd. I have one with an expiry date of 1/65. Also three C's and two B's for the same vehicle, different users, that date from 1939 to 1964  I think it may have been superseded by the operators licence?

C Licence.jpg

• Like 1

On 8/4/2023 at 7:53 AM, Great War truck said:

Thanks. That is very interesting and adds to my understanding. The one i posted a picture of looks a little home made. is it right?

It does look home made, presumably it is based on a genuine example regarding the serial number. A recent photograph? I shouldn't think there are too many surviving examples of any types now. My examples where in a tax disc holder I purchased some time ago, the book came along later, can't remember where though! There is more text on the back of them.