MkII HSAT British Para Helmet

Enfield1940

Hi,

I’ve just acquired this incomplete MkII HSAT and I am currently mulling over how far to restore it. I wonder if anyone could help with the following questions:

- Unlike a 1955 dated example in my collection, there are no visible date / maker marks stamped on the shell. (Assuming they’re not concealed by rust) Does that mean it *could* be of wartime manufacture?

- Does anyone have any thoughts on what the markings stamped on the liner ring mean?

- Likewise, the painted markings on the front?

- What was the correct paint colour / texture of a WWII manufactured MkII HSAT? (I believe the colour became more green postwar)

Thanks,

Mark

IMG_1380.jpeg

IMG_1381.jpeg

IMG_1382.jpeg

IMG_1384.jpeg

IMG_1383.jpeg

Hi @Enfield1940

The red square on the helmet is proabaly the Drop Zone /Tactical Recognition Flash (DZ/TRF) for 1st Batallion Parachute Regiment (1 Para).image.png.74162fff9c04e340c39e49ff3162c506.png

Below looks like AT/(?), which could be Anti Tank platoon.

The buckles are sometimes dated.

Best Regards,

Adrian

IIRC only 1942 para shells were dated. Later in the war no dates or brands. They resumed dating on the shell in the 1950's.

I am convinced your steel shell is WW2.

Never seen pics of those markings in the ring, interesting.

I wouldn't overpaint or strip the steel shell. Who knows what it turns out to be.

Keep in mind WW2 parahelmets were used long after the war.

Thanks everyone. Interesting to give it a bit of history.

Unfortunately it has a significant amount of rust - especially to the interior. I’m currently thinking I may put some Oxalic acid in the interior and see to what extent it removes the rust but not the surviving paint. If it works well, I may dip the whole thing.