WW2 Jeep Trailers.

DFC1943Fl.Lt.

Hi all,

Help needed with regards to the eye Lunette on a WW2 Bantum or later jeep trailer. Some say the WW2 trailer had the straight eye lunette and others say even the cranked lunette was WW2. I am in the process of buying a WW2 Bantum trailer which has the cranked hitch on it, Which I always thought was a post war modification. I have a 'Polynorm' trailer with the short hitch but know these are post was trailers. Just need to know one way or the other. I have realized that with the cranked eye hitch the trailer sits at a more level plane with the jeep as opposed the straight eye which has the trailer front diving down to the back of the jeep.

Cheers Steve.    

All ww2 Bantam trailers had a straight Lunette tow hitch, the Cranked hitch was Post war modification so the hitch could be rotated to allow the trailer to be towed by other vehicles of higher tow hook height than a jeep, and as you say with the lunette in the lower position makes a better angle for the trailer behind a jeep

Edited by Nick Johns
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

After the war many NATO countries produced their own 1/4 ton trailer and some are almost identical to the Willys/Bantam one so you'll need to do some studying if you only want to to settle for a WW2 example. These are a good place to start:

https://forums.g503.com/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=72809

http://jeepdraw.com/  (trailer section)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...