Auction of British AFV in Bakersfield, CA, USA. Chieftain, Abbot, 432, Saracen, and more besides.

teletech

$48k for an Abbot?  Really?  Might need to update the insurance value on mine!

I'm also highly amused by "looks to be in an unmodified condition; exactly how it'd have been when in service" when half the breech ring has been cut off!

Andy

That's actually a very reasonable price for an Abbot in the USA.  Once in a while I've seen someone asking that for a Ferret!

The US government won't sell armored vehicles to it's citizens and bans re-import of US-made armored vehicles (with some exceptions for WWII and prior, etc.), so there's a *lot* of pent-up demand.  Can you imagine all the yanks who wear a 1911 to go to the corner store and have a loaded AR15 in the trunk NOT being able to get fun toys like that!?

So, yeah, we're crazy for guns and vehicles over here and have almost zero domestic supply of AFVs.  That often makes for some very high prices when things do come up for sale.

Very sad about the gun being cut, but it's impossible to import anything over 12Ga/.505" into the US anymore and California is even more restrictive.  There are a few pre-1989 imports around, I was quoted around $50,000 for a live 76mm gun (just the gun) for a Scorpion if I wanted one!

17 minutes ago, Newcoregon said:

Sold my MkII Ferret for $13K USD and did a happy dance as it left.  No interest in my CVR[w] Fox tho. In Oregon, USA  It's listed here too. Dave

I've seen a couple Ferret turrets in the US where folks want $5000-6000, so I'd say the buyer did quite well.

Well, that auction site did OK on the other stuff, perhaps flog the Fox there?

teletech I have a Ferret turret with base plate for way less than that and I'm just over the border.

Andy M you can not imagine the depths one goes to to ship and then import vehicles into North America. Canada and the US are different hut neither are a sure thing cake walk every time and I've done Ferret and Fox and Stormer and FV432 and Bedfords and Land Rovers and BV 206s to drop some names. Phytosanitary certifcates and agriculture inspections and haulage disasters over salt laden roads over man, many miles, import licenses and a whole gamut of officials who go off side because it is a green box on tracks with zero weapons or mounts whatsoever. If you have met a "Jobs worth" in the UK they are nothing to people with guns and badges and the power to cost you large with extra washing and storage fees and haulage snafus. Once kit is in the US it therefore has an extra value beyond what the UK will bear.

7 minutes ago, robin craig said:

teletech I have a Ferret turret with base plate for way less than that and I'm just over the border.

Andy M you can not imagine the depths one goes to to ship and then import vehicles into North America. Canada and the US are different hut neither are a sure thing cake walk every time and I've done Ferret and Fox and Stormer and FV432 and Bedfords and Land Rovers and BV 206s to drop some names. Phytosanitary certifcates and agriculture inspections and haulage disasters over salt laden roads over man, many miles, import licenses and a whole gamut of officials who go off side because it is a green box on tracks with zero weapons or mounts whatsoever. If you have met a "Jobs worth" in the UK they are nothing to people with guns and badges and the power to cost you large with extra washing and storage fees and haulage snafus. Once kit is in the US it therefore has an extra value beyond what the UK will bear.

Post that turret on SteelSoldiers and you'll get some attention, or I can forward contact for a potential buyer.

I've imported a couple vehicles into the US so I well know the feeling of that extra several thousand dollars to have the containers unloaded for inspection at union wages several times by different agencies.  I wasn't actually suggesting the prices in the North American market were particularly high, but rather the prices in the UK seemed shockingly cheap when looking in from the outside.

Speaking of high prices, here we go, $55K for a Ferret:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/166015622905

If the engine really is rebuilt nicely, that's something.  Missing the side bin is a pretty big oversight.  The turn lights *might* be correct for an ex-CDN, not sure if missing sand-channels would be right for Canadian service.  Wrong tires,... plenty of things wrong for that Irish-service paint job.  Sigh.