Re: Fordson ID

Maccattack73

1 hour ago, Maccattack73 said:

I'm not very cluey with the Fordson truck, so I'd really appreciate some help identifying this particular truck and hopefully a little about it's history.

Can someone tell me what this number is on both the doors for this Fordson WOT6?

Thanks.

Hi,

There were 3 contracts of Ford WOT6 GS (General Service) lorries starting with L49..

They were;

L4963097 to L4964096

L4964097 to L4966096

L4966097 to L4970096

Hope you can find a bit more of the number. This is known as the Census number, a bit like a registration number for the British army at that time 1940's

regards, Richard

6 minutes ago, Richard Farrant said:

Hi,

There were 3 contracts of Ford WOT6 GS (General Service) lorries starting with L49..

They were;

L4963097 to L4964096

L4964097 to L4966096

L4966097 to L4970096

Hope you can find a bit more of the number. This is known as the Census number, a bit like a registration number for the British army at that time 1940's

regards, Richard

Thanks so much for your reply, Richard. De we have an approximate date of manufacturer for these numbers?

12 minutes ago, Maccattack73 said:

Thanks so much for your reply, Richard. De we have an approximate date of manufacturer for these numbers?

Off the top of my head I would think 1942 or 1943. As it looks to be desert colour it is possible that it was brought back to Australia when the Aussies withdrew from North Africa.

4 minutes ago, Richard Farrant said:

Off the top of my head I would think 1942 or 1943. As it looks to be desert colour it is possible that it was brought back to Australia when the Aussies withdrew from North Africa.

That's fascinating. Thanks Richard. You can see the remnants of a camouflage pattern on the cab but I doubt it was used in North Africa. I think the current colour is the result of decades of the harsh Australian climate. I'm not really sure as yet. Thanks again!

10 minutes ago, Maccattack73 said:

That's fascinating. Thanks Richard. You can see the remnants of a camouflage pattern on the cab but I doubt it was used in North Africa. I think the current colour is the result of decades of the harsh Australian climate. I'm not really sure as yet. Thanks again!

In your photo thre looks to be a word painted over number. It looks lik HANGER