Accident 1945 Eygelshoven NL

Citroman

At 14 februari 1945 my mother and my aunt had an accident involving a GMC army truck. In our village at the German frontier many sidewalks were packed with artillery shells. The Amercian soldiers were loading shells and allowed the kids to hang on running boards of the slow driving trucks. At one moment my mother and my aunt fell off because the jerrycan they were holding on broke loose. They both had 2 broken legs and my aunt was wounded at the head rather badly. Than a lot of panic, Jeeps were rushed to the scene, my aunt was taken to the hospital immediatly. My mother was taken to the American first aid post first. They put splints on her legs and brought her to the hospital too. The two girls have been in the hospital for weeks. The Americans soldiers came to visit several times and brought choclat. But this was taken away by the "german" nuns in the hospital, to distribute to all the kids in the hospital. The girls both recovered and even became gymnastic teachers!!

My question, i would like to know which transport unit was in the area at that time. So i could try to find some report of the accident just for history sake.

It was in the south of the Netherlands in the towns of Eygelshoven and Kerkrade.

Hi @Citroman

You can use this site to trace the HQ's of various US Units during WW2.

https://history.army.mil/index.html

Kerkrade is not mentioned, but three units were at or near Eygelshoven. But all earlier than the incident you describe. However, perhaps checking other place names in the vicinity may show a unit on the correct date.

https://search.usa.gov/search?affiliate=cmh&query=Eygelshoven

Good Luck.

Best Regards,

Adrian

Thanks for your info.

I know there were infantry soldiers interned with the villagers. Even with my grandparents in their little house with 12 children!!  The soldiers were very pleased to be able to use showers at the local coalmines.  Later on they were called away for the Battle of the Bulge. 

• Like 1