No 19 Set Ground/truck

simon king

I am now looking to complete the truck/ground WS19 installation in my MWR. The B set antenna mount and associated leads are sorted but with regard to the A set antenna, all I have is the acorn shape rubber antenna mount. I have tried a trial installation on the MWR roof, but I think I need more parts

in order …

Rubber antenna mount 

Mounting base, Antenna No 3

Plates, connector No 2

WS19 Antenna Feeder Assembly No 9 (plugs into the antenna fitting on the variometer mount/antenna base which bolts to side of PSU)

Is this correct and can anyone point me to any possible sources for the parts I might need.

thanks

Edited by simon king
Correction

• 2 weeks later...

Good to here that you have a solution for your problem, if you need more information always welcome to contact me.

I have some wireless stuff that I want to install in my Morris C4 wireless lorry . I am also looking what the Areal base looks like for a HP set 19 , the pictures in the Wireless for warriors book are not so great .

Guy   

• 8 months later...
On 11/10/2022 at 5:09 PM, guy66 said:

Good to here that you have a solution for your problem, if you need more information always welcome to contact me.

I have some wireless stuff that I want to install in my Morris C4 wireless lorry . I am also looking what the Areal base looks like for a HP set 19 , the pictures in the Wireless for warriors book are not so great .

Guy   

If it's the one I think it is (that takes 'D' rods from the 34-ft steel vertical aerial - the 'golf bag'), then it's an "Aerial lead in No.16" which is built up from "Insulator W/T 'H'", Aerial Base No.3, four tinned copper braid straps, and an adapter plate.

I've got some of the bits somewhere, is your vehicle fitted with a "House Type" wireless body, and is the aerial base mounted through the roof or on the centre line of the body behind the cab, because the mount requirements are different.

Chris. 

Hello Chris.

Yes it's a house type wireless box that I am bilding and want to make it in to a HP unit . Ass it seems the later house body's had the aerial support in front of the cabin on a metal support.

Earlier models had the aerial on the roof.

Will post a picture of a base that looks like the thing I am looking for.

Regards

Guy

20230715_185617.jpg

16 hours ago, Chris Suslowicz said:

If it's the one I think it is (that takes 'D' rods from the 34-ft steel vertical aerial - the 'golf bag'), then it's an "Aerial lead in No.16" which is built up from "Insulator W/T 'H'", Aerial Base No.3, four tinned copper braid straps, and an adapter plate.

I've got some of the bits somewhere, is your vehicle fitted with a "House Type" wireless body, and is the aerial base mounted through the roof or on the centre line of the body behind the cab, because the mount requirements are different.

Chris. 

I think that the aerial base looks like the one on the picture Chris ?

HP aireal.jpeg

Edited by guy66
Double

Yes, and it sits on Insulator W/T 'H' with an extension bar to get the central feed below the mounting bracket, then there's a cable to the pyrex insulator in the blackout box for feedthrough to the vehicle. The straps are to bypass the (not very good at high power) Pendulastic insulator, and leave the ceramic mushroom to do that bit and the rubber to absorb jolts and swaying.

I probably have some spare parts of this assembly, or bits in the collection that can be used as a pattern.

Best regards,

Chris.

Wireless for the Warrior Volume 1, page W.S.19 - 74 shows the layout. I may have a sample of everything except the vehicle mounting bracket. The connector 20D should be listed in the Parts Identification List in enough detail to fabricate one. 

18 hours ago, Chris Suslowicz said:

Yes, and it sits on Insulator W/T 'H' with an extension bar to get the central feed below the mounting bracket, then there's a cable to the pyrex insulator in the blackout box for feedthrough to the vehicle. The straps are to bypass the (not very good at high power) Pendulastic insulator, and leave the ceramic mushroom to do that bit and the rubber to absorb jolts and swaying.

I probably have some spare parts of this assembly, or bits in the collection that can be used as a pattern.

Best regards,

Chris.

Wireless for the Warrior Volume 1, page W.S.19 - 74 shows the layout. I may have a sample of everything except the vehicle mounting bracket. The connector 20D should be listed in the Parts Identification List in enough detail to fabricate one. 

I sold one of these a few years ago - I can ask the buyer if they would support loaning it for patterning.

Let me know.

Tim

21 minutes ago, Packhow75 said:

I sold one of these a few years ago - I can ask the buyer if they would support loaning it for patterning.

Let me know.

Tim

Hello Tim , we can always see if there is a possibility to look at reproducing this support are if the buyer may be in to sell this part.

Guy

45 minutes ago, guy66 said:

Hello Tim , we can always see if there is a possibility to look at reproducing this support are if the buyer may be in to sell this part.

Guy

Unlikely the part will be for sale - it was bought for his radio truck. But, I guess if you offer enough cash, you might be lucky.

I will ask if any chance of getting it drawn up in cad or copied.... or he wants to sell.

Tim

2 hours ago, guy66 said:

Guy

I have sent you a private message with the chap's contact details.

It is definitely not for sale, but might be he will measure it and provide good photos.

Tim

On 7/31/2023 at 5:51 PM, Chris Suslowicz said:

Best regards,

Chris.

The insulator 

20230801_192214.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/1/2023 at 6:24 PM, guy66 said:

The insulator 

20230801_192214.jpg

No, that's Aerial Lead-In No.12 which goes inside the 'black-out box' on the front wall of the vehicle body. Lead-In No.16 is the assembly that goes on the vehicle roof or the external bracket on the front wall of the body at roof level. I have an unissued complete one in the collection, together with the extension rod and the "Plates, Adaptor, No.5" to mount it on the bracket. In terms of "available spares", there's possibly a damaged No.16 - I took it apart to try and remove a corroded-in aluminium stub from the socket for the aerial rod and managed to bruise the thread on the socket, I definitely have two of the "Plates, Adapter No.5" though, and the extension rod is a simple matter of cutting some threads on a steel rod and painting it green (plus a threaded coupler). The adapters for 'F' rods were in use fora long time, and the "sloping twin 16-ft V" should be fairly easy to obtain. (Wireless For The Warrior shows a single sloping rod adapter with the Canadian Laport adapter used to make the 'V'. I don't think the rods would stay in place on the move, the later "all in one" adapter had a screw clamp that operated on both rods..

Best regards,

Chris.

Hello Chris

If possible can you sent some pictures of the aerial  gear , for this radio stuff is a bit complicated ! Give some plate and wood I will construct a radio box , but the radio installation is black magic and I need to learn a lot abut this and all the combinations makes it really difficult .

I will the Aerial lead in front of the cabin ( I so pictures where it is mounted ) and you are right that there is a little black out box inside the cabin . On the picture you can see the little box that I will reproduce for inside the radio box .

Regards 

Guy

IMG_2510.JPG

59dcbeb1e6c03_antinterior3.jpg.1e8a82878d0fa2b13d585ddeb8c148cb.jpg