The other Clayton - Clayton and Shuttleworth.

Doc

So I stumbled across this image of a 3 ton petrol lorry built by Clayton and Shuttleworth and exhibited by them at the 1915 Smithfield show:

IMG_3142.thumb.JPG.71013a5d49163e4bf799a347ab242c91.JPG

Commercial Motor's reporter described it thus:

"On the whole, no departures have been made from orthodox practice, but the company prides itself on having produced the whole machine, with the exception of the engine, in its own works, including such processes as frame-pressing, malleable casting and aluminium casting. The design provides for a Dorman engine.

A more detailed description followed:

The construction is on orthodox lines, bearing evidence of careful attention to detail, whilst the necessity for providing adequate strength to meet all likely demands has not been overlooked.

The specification covers a 45 h.p. four-cylinder water-cooled engine, with Claudel-Hobson carburettor, high tension magneto ignition, thermo-syphon circulation of the cooling water, enclosed valve-gear, etc., etc. A cone clutch and leather-jointed clutch shaft transmit the power to the four-speed-and-reverse gearbox. The latter is fitted with change speed on the gate-change principle, and the box has cast integral with it the housing for the spherical-ended, tubular part which serves to convey the driving thrust from the rear axle, as well as to re-act against the driving torque.

The whole of the transmission, from the gearbox rearwards, is totally enclosed. The rear axle is work-driven, of the type in which the worm is above the wheel. It is full-floating, the load being carried by the double-banjo forged-steel main axle, with cast covers above and below to form a spherical centre portion. Both brakes are in the rear wheels, side by side, in separate drums.

This is a new one on me. If anyone has more information on this vehicle, I would be pleased to hear...

Doc

• Thanks 1

I have found a few more details.

The lorry was entered as an exhibit at the 1915 Royal Show held that year in Nottingham with an £800 price tag.

Capture.thumb.JPG.93261d04dfe3c5d9de1e31264f0cd6e0.JPG

The Commercial Motor's report of the show states: "On Clayton and Shuttleworth's large stand (284) only one example can be correctly described as coming within the scope of this journal. This is a three-ton steam wagon on rubber tyres..." The no-show at the Royal might explain the excitement with which the lorry was at the Smithfield later that year.

The implement and machinery section of the 1916 show was limited to ease pressure on the railways, so the makers were unable to exhibit the lorry at Manchester. .

IMG_3152.thumb.JPG.fb19a25b0c233dc19dfae415953f3c37.JPG

The lorry was not entered in the 1919 Show, which was held at Cardiff.

On 4/22/2022 at 11:19 PM, mammoth said:

Clayton & Co qualified for the subsidy scheme following trialing their example in the War Dept trials.

Clayton & Co. Huddersfield, makers of Karrier lorries. 

Clayton and Shuttleworth of Lincoln were not, so far as I am aware, afforded the opportunity to trial their example.

• 2 months later...

I can also confirm that there is no link between Clayton & Shuttleworth Ltd, Lincoln and Clayton & Co, Huddersfield.

I am aware that there are a couple of drawings for the body and the cab of Clayton & Shuttleworth 3t petrol lorry, dating from August/November 1915.

They are very similar to the bodies build for steam wagons and there is no clue as to whether the lorry was of their own design, or bought in from a 3rd party.  I know that the petrol engines used in their 'Clayton' Chain Rail Tractors were Dorman, Stafford engines.

• Like 1