Channel Islands Occupation on Radio 4

Rick W

Ta mate :wave: they'd be a prime canidate for our WW stone. As for the Palace Hotel no one really knows. The theories range from accident, some accident as it was the biggest poshest hotel in the Island at the time to part of a mutiny plot. Huffmier, the Island commander at the time Rampant Nazi had captained the Scharnhorst on her channel run, asked Brigader Snow if some of his troops could remain armed armed after the war as he feared a mutiny even then, and lootiong by Russian and other slave workers. He was also going round with an armed bodygaurd at the time. Huffmier had concived the plan that he would hold out after the end of the war so that the Island's would be a barganing chip in the peace talks.

One of there recommendations is 'A Model Occupation'. Probably because the author as usual took an opportunity to air her views. Trouble is 1 she never interviewed anyone who lived on the Island's during the Occupation, despite offers of cooperation 2 several of her Facts, are not verifiable through official records or any oral history. If I carry on Jack or someone will censor ban and shoot me. Needless to say I would compare it to 'Hitler's diaries'.

If I carry on Jack or someone will censor ban and shoot me. Needless to say I would compare it to 'Hitler's diaries'.

Can't see why, Tony, if you can substantuate your views. :-)

I'm guessing you have possible infomation, or access to such, that most of us don't. :-D

Genuine interest, is what drives most of us here.

The trouble is Madeleine Bunting's book cannot be substantiated. the entire book is a tirade that all islander's colabberated and supported the Nazi regime. It has and still does cause a lot of offence. the woman has no idea of the situation that prevailed 1 armed soldier for every 2.1 civilians in an area 11 miles long by 5 miles wide, totally isolated from the outside. If all Islander's collaborated why were so many deported and interned and why were so many imprisoned that there was a waiting list at the prison, for crimes such as riding bikes 2 abreast. Why were British civilians sent to their deaths in concentration camps? at the time of writing she refused assistance from all the reputable sources and interviews with the people who were there. They would 'Cloud her academic judgement'.

Cheers for this aditional info Tony,............I CAN now understand your views on her 'views'.

Andy

Any time Andy, one of the best is Island's in Danger, written in the '50s still worth reading though. Funnily at the start everyone thought it would be like WW1. 1 company of the Royal Militia Island of Jersey went off, to join the Royal Irish :dunno: The rest stayed behind to gaurd a German POW camp at St Quen's on the west of the Island. A lot of Jersey casualties in that conflict were in the Canadian Army, there being a lot of links with Newfoundland. Being so small second sons etc would go off to New Foundland, then not part of Canada. They knew the region through the cod fishing industry.

Have you looked into the role of islanders in WW1?

Yes but it's very scattered. there were Jerseymen in all the British services, and Commonwealth Armies. this is part of the St Quen memorial you can see the range., they also served in the French military, not suprising when you consider the close links.

Yes but it's very scattered. there were Jerseymen in all the British services, and Commonwealth Armies. this is part of the St Quen memorial you can see the range., they also served in the French military, not suprising when you consider the close links.

Wow, as you say, Tony; Certainly served in a variety of regts and armys..

is pic taken from a roll of honour ??

Wow, as you say, Tony; Certainly served in a variety of regts and armys..

is pic taken from a roll of honour ??

Yes in At Quen parich hall, easch of the twelve parashis has its own. some in the parish church , some as stone memorials. this one is from my home parish outside the church. Incedentally it was also the German war cemetery in WW2

I may be wrong but I think all the German remains were removed and sent to mainland cemetries or back to Germany several years after the war but I think there is still British military graves there.There is certainly graves from the ship HMS Charybdiss which sunk in local waters during ww2

Nigel

Tony,

Were/are germans still buried there ??

Not now, the German burials were moved in 1962, some to the Mont Deausines German military cemetery near Mont St Michel. There were also American burials. During 9th august 1944, American PT boats of the 34 Squadron joined battle with the German 46th minesweeping flotilla PT 509 rammed one of the German boats losing 14 out of her 16 man crew. PT 503 also lost 2 men. 9 bodies were never recovered. the rest, 1 was picked up by an allied seaplane. the others were buried at Howard Davies park ( an area gifted to the island by Davis in memoriam to his son Howard who was killed during WW1) These remains were later re buried in the American military cemetery at Cherbourg. at Andrew's church still flies the star & Stripes in memoriam. there is also a monument unveiled in 2004 at Noirmont. This was the greatest single loss suffered by the PT boats during WW2.

I may be wrong but I think all the German remains were removed and sent to mainland cemetries or back to Germany several years after the war but I think there is still British military graves there.There is certainly graves from the ship HMS Charybdiss which sunk in local waters during ww2

Nigel

Yes she was sunk off the island's some bodies ended up in Jersey some in Guernsey. All were buried with full military honours. This was at the insistence of the Germans military, not the Field commandantur, the civil German side.