Jeep top canvas

DFC1943Fl.Lt.

Hi all, bit of a problem with one of my jeep top canvas's. I have 3, two with the latter rear hole for the jerry can strap, one with the plastic rear window and one without and 1 which just has all the rear tabs. The problem I have is that the one I want to fit to the jeep, which is the one which straps all the way across the back as the jeep is an early 42 scripted without the jerry can holder, is too short. I have measured all 3 from the front, windscreen end to the midway position and the canvas which has all the straps at the rear, the one I want to use is 100mm/4" to short, 2 measure 90cm the other one I want to use is 80cm. The other two will fit ok. Is there any difference normally between summer tops. Looing forward to some input on this.

Many thanks Steve.    

Is the short top original? or could it be a modern ( last 40 years ) reproduction, that has been made to fit a Jeep where the windscreen was bent backwards more than usual? Hence, shorter than standard?

I have two Jeeps and three canvasses. They all fit both Jeeps, but my GPW screen is raked back more than the Hotchkiss M201.

I don't know whether earlier Jeeps had more raked screens or shorter bows, both of which would aid a shorter canvas. I suspect it may have just been made to fit a bent screen.

Hi Jessie thanks for your reply. All 3 are repro tops but the short one looks quite new. One of the others is bran new? Never been fitted. It's just typical that the one I want to use won't fit. Don't really want to mess the altering the windscreen. Will have to sell it on, it's a great colour as well. Looks like a 'Beachwood' canvas, it's got that original sort of green/tan colour to it.