Welbike update

AlfRim

Hello

It’s been a while since I last posted so thought I’d do an update on my frame no. 1170 welbike!

After a few months of finding the odd original part, it came to a halt and I ended up making a couple bits and buying reproduction front forks and front wheel all I could afford) so at least the bike was a roller. My dad and I ended up making the exhaust box (did not finish), brake rod and engine steady.

In September (2020), I found another engine, and set of wheels which I sold on to help pay for some parts. The following month, a project welbike, frame no. 1199, came up for sale which I was luckily enough to get. The bike is only 29 frame numbers out from my first welbike which is a funny coincidence! It had horrible old black paint all over it which was coming of, so it needs a complete restoration (will talk about later). Since the bike will be repainted, I decided to switch the forks and front wheel (as these had next to no black paint on) and put them on the first welbike, frame no 1170. I also switched the exhaust box, engine steady, throttle and brake rod so 1170 is all original parts and paint so far. 

Since the bike was nearly complete, I ended up getting a reproduction pair of fuel tanks, and silencer (thanks to Geoff at WUK). With an induction heater and hammer, I gave them a few dents and scrapes. Someone we knows who works on old vehicles,  hot rods etc so we gave them the fuel tanks to paint and weather, though they sadly never did.

I didn’t really do much to either of the welbikes as I was hoping for original parts to turn up. In January (2021), I was fed up of waiting so I thought I’d try and get it started. I took the head and barrel off and and cleaned the piston, bore and faces up as I didn’t want to open the crank cases as it all looked nice. Made some new top end gaskets and put it all back together. Drained all the old oil out and put new in. We tried to get it going with a drill and it puffed out smoke twice, and started up for about 2 or 3 seconds which was a big achievement! Decided it needed a new coil and condenser. After this, It started up for the first time since the 40/50s and ran beautifully! Since the original throttle mount is not on the bars, I’ve had to use a lawnmower thumb throttle, which works nicely, though I will switch to the correct throttle at some point. I didn’t want to weld a new mount on due to the original paint.

Fast forward to April. After waiting for the tanks to be painted, I ended up asking for them back as they kept saying they’ll do them next week but never did. In June, I decided to age them myself and think they came out well. The bike is now pretty much complete! It bump started first time and rode very well. The bike starts very easily, especially by spinning the rear wheel instead of running and bumping. Since then, I’ve been to a couple shows and it’s great to ride. It sounds very good too. It keeps having different issues with wanting to run, or the clutch needing to be adjusted every time it gets hot. But I keep finding and fixing these little issues (apart from the clutch but I think I know why). Normally, it’s just learning how this bike wants to run, such as having to turn the fuel off when you stop, and once you have it running again then turn the fuel on otherwise it floods it! Also, I think I’ve finally decided to weld on the handlebars instead of a making a clamp for the throttle but I need to buy the mount.

The last couple months, I’ve been working on the other welbike, frame no.1199. Ive completely stripped the bike and engine. And have bead blasted the frame parts. I’m about to start on the engine. Then it’ll be onto painting and rebuilding with new parts. I still need original parts but since it’s being repainted, reproduction parts will be fine for now. But I need to buy more parts but have not got the money currently. I’ll probably do some posts on that one also. Might as well ask, if anyone has any parts, please message me!

Regarding paint from my last post, I’ve realised that the bike first came out the factory green (like a normal mk1), then went back and painted brown. It is exactly the same on no. 1199, green and then brown. They both also have a mk2 style steering column so a certain amount on the late Mk1’s must’ve went back, or never left and updated. I’ve also realised that a lot of the Welbikes in the Polish training photos (I’ll attach one) are late MK1’s with the filler cap on the left side. They have the excelsior logo on the steering stem which is a mk2 trait. So there’s a chance these have been repainted brown like mine. I started looking at the census numbers but the picture below is the most clear pic I can find. The closest welbike, I think the number is ‘C4659654’ but can’t tell exactly. But if this is the correct number, it means it is roughly 9 out from my frame 1170, and 18 out from frame 1199! So mine could be there, but who knows. Nothing is for certain

I’ll attach some pictures below of  frame no. 1170… also, the Polish pic and an Arnhem bridge stand I made for it!

I know is a long post, but its more of a log for myself to read in the future!

cheers

Alfie

1129F15E-98A1-4601-BCBD-B6B21D3867CD.thumb.jpeg.25e9da828b8d9d0ac4d26602969e53a1.jpeg

716C0DCC-83F5-4AC9-8630-7E541C42C168.thumb.jpeg.86b0d179844711023271579c407b209b.jpegB4BEDF8C-72E4-48EF-B5BC-BA6C29D41137.thumb.jpeg.1913db137ec15de5fe4be972c0a05b68.jpegF1E63D45-5972-4A63-8030-9F5EB39C5BC4.thumb.jpeg.9ce9647f044bf297b5f46edea265364b.jpeg8651D3AF-2DF4-45FD-B679-0B87153D4129.thumb.jpeg.a0998a19309b48c8f206371e8879248d.jpeg

Edited by AlfRim
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Tagging on to Alfie's thread. Lex told me that my reproduction air pump for the fuel tank was all wrong, (they were steel not brass). He sent me an original that had some rust and holes to the pump tube. 

I repaired the tube by wrapping it with 4 thou brass shim stock which I fixed with JP Weld and 6 cable ties pulled tight until it set. A friend has a 1" x 20tpi tap which we used to tidy the thread in the cap. I'm very pleased to have an original now. 

Next little job is to attend to the stop wire for the saddle which has always been missing. Ron

W repaint7 (2).jpg

WDSCF4060 (1).JPG

WDSCF4060 (2).JPG

WDSCF4060 (3).JPG

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Ron said:

Tagging on to Alfie's thread. Lex told me that my reproduction air pump for the fuel tank was all wrong, (they were steel not brass). He sent me an original that had some rust and holes to the pump tube. 

I repaired the tube by wrapping it with 4 thou brass shim stock which I fixed with JP Weld and 6 cable ties pulled tight until it set. A friend has a 1" x 20tpi tap which we used to tidy the thread in the cap. I'm very pleased to have an original now. 

Next little job is to attend to the stop wire for the saddle which has always been missing. Ron

W repaint7 (2).jpg

WDSCF4060 (1).JPG

WDSCF4060 (2).JPG

WDSCF4060 (3).JPG

Looks good!

Just now, welbike said:

Nice Ron!  Alfie, those pictures can be ordered from Stilltime Archive, I am saving up to buy 100+ pictures.

Cheers,

Lex

Fair play! Is there the Polish welbike picture on there by any chance?

I had this one enhanced and looks like the engine is XXE 1851? Or 1351, which would make it numbered a few out from one of my bikes engines.

cheers

Alfie

9A5DE05E-9DCF-48EB-946B-DC094FCECDBE.jpeg