Collimator query..

Orginally posted a query in 2010 trying to identify to what weapon and vehicle this related to...still trying to identify - can anyone now help, please ?

Box was unopened and item nos when i obtained it, only opened it to see....marked 're-packed 1960 ', so dates to between then and start date of FV nomenclature...

May be an image of text that says "V5 FV 257613 Collimator P.P.Q.I SERIAL. 17239 NOT TO BE OPENED UNTIL REQUIRED"

Centurion fitted with a Reflector-cum-Periscope (RCP) sight uses a collimator as the link between the gunner's and crew commander's sights, so that, when aligned, the CC can see what the gunner sees through the gunner's sight. The collimator is attached to the underside of the turret roof. I don't have a full parts list for Centurions later than Mk.III, but someone on here might have and could check if the part number is the same. 

Mike

Edited by Mike C
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Mike C said:

Centurion fitted with a Reflector-cum-Periscope (RCP) sight uses a collimator as the link between the gunner's and crew commander's sights, so that, when aligned, the CC can see what the gunner sees through the gunner's sight. The collimator is attached to the underside of the turret roof. I don't have a full parts list for Centurions later than Mk.III, but someone on here might have and could check if the part number is the same. 

Mike

Thanks very much obliged.... always had a suspicion was most likely for a Cent..

• Like 1

11 hours ago, BlueBelle said:

So you see Stableboy, I was right....I told you there would be someone on here who would know for sure what your collimator was for...even if it took ten years to get the answer! Now you just need a Centurion to fit it to. 😊

Hahaha.. Cent, no thanks, maybe something less obvious, wheeled and armoured, but have quite enough maintenance jobs in my life already, thanks..:)

• Like 1