CVR(T) D Spartan Fan Belt Replacement

Can anyone give me a rundown on the best method to replace the Fan Belt on a Diesel Spartan?

Ive read the manual about 10 times now and just cannot make sense of the method its wanting to use, it keeps mentioning an access plate to the drive shaft to undo it so you can slide your belt over to your clutch but i cant seem to find the access that it keeps mentioning. Im assuming this process is much more involved than the manual is making it out to be because i just cant see an easy way to go about it. 

Anyways i appreciate any and all tips or advice you guys are always a great help

Do you have the petrol or diesel manual?

It is fairly easy but a bit involved. You need to lift off the complete engine deck, then remove the fan section of the bulkhead and remove the drive shaft. Do not disassemble them drive shaft, you need to remove the bolts that hold it to the flywheel and gearbox input module. You can then swap the belt and put it back together. 

150B3665-4C85-4901-B1B8-430A4D99DB50.jpeg

4 minutes ago, sirhc said:

Do you have the petrol or diesel manual?

It is fairly easy but a bit involved. You need to lift off the complete engine deck, then remove the fan section of the bulkhead and remove the drive shaft. Do not disassemble them drive shaft, you need to remove the bolts that hold it to the flywheel and gearbox input module. You can then swap the belt and put it back together. 

150B3665-4C85-4901-B1B8-430A4D99DB50.jpeg

That is making alot more sense, ive got the Diesel manual but im just apparently terrible at visualizing what its saying, youve been an immense help and i should be able to do it now no problem. Thanks for letting me know about not dissembling the drive shaft aswell, ive heard they are a pain to get aligned just right and im a very strict follower of "if it aint broke dont fix it"

As Chris says a bit involved but not especially technical.  Just keep taking bits off until you can get to where you need to be.

A couple of other points - the diesel fan belt does NOT need to run particularly tight - 14mm free play at the mid point, and you shouldn’t have to work too hard to get to this.

Some people suggest adding a spare fan belt while you are there and cable tying it out of the way.  Then if this belt fails you have one ready to go.  I’ve never done this and there are other people who strongly advise against it and say it is almost certain to cause belt failure (presumably through the spare interfering with the running belt). 

• 2 weeks later...

Well i got everything around this weekend and got my belt replaced. It was pretty straight forward and im glad it was. Anyone have a good method on disconnecting the coolant hose? I wasnt ready for mine about drained half my coolant into my gearbox compartment, other than that, super easy!

Edited by TheAmericanPatriot