Hi! New member, starting to look into beginning a Jeep resto!

1 hour ago, jonggd said:

Hello Nick, I am in Mid Bedfordshire, and yes I did rebuild the engine. It is in fact an MB engine as these are easier to find these days. The Ford engines are more susceptible to cracking so I went with an MB for now. John.

Did you do all the work yourself or get help from machinists? If so any recommendations for machinists?

Hi Nick, I did all the work myself, with a little help from my son. Who ended up being a much better welder than me, put it down to my age 😉. I was very lucky with the engine, it was a runner when I got it, so it just needed new bearings, oil seasl etc. No rebore or regringing was required.

• Like 1

Just now, jonggd said:

Hi Nick, I did all the work myself, with a little help from my son. Who ended up being a much better welder than me, put it down to my age 😉. I was very lucky with the engine, it was a runner when I got it, so it just needed new bearings, oil seasl etc. No rebore or regringing was required.

Nice! I'd like to do as much of it myself as possible too. Just need to find one that doesn't require a rebore I guess!! Probably easier said than done!

There are still a few good machine shops out there that can help. The L134 engine is a simple engine and easy to overhaul. Oversize pistons and crank bearings are readily avaliable. So a rebore/regrind should not be a problem.

Edited by jonggd

26 minutes ago, Powdermonkey52 said:

Advice to me from the MVT was all that matters is the chassis. So aslong as you have a chassis that can be documented (so probably a GPW stamped chassis) and the appropriate axels etc. (I.e. you don't put for example landrover axels on instead of jeep axels) the DVLA will register as a historic vehicle using the date of the chassis. If though you put landrover axels on a GPW chassis its likely they would consider it a reconstruction or kit car. The chassis is the most important part in the DVLAs eyes.

This is the advice I got from the MVT:

"So if you build a WW2 GPW with an original chassis, then it is a WW2 GPW. When basically complete, the DVLA will want a verification letter from a recognised club (the MVT is one) stating the vehicle is what is claimed, with the club’s sources  of information to support that. That is the key. You will of course need other things to register it as well, like a NOVA certificate, DVLA forms, the fee, etc, all of which are no problem. And then you get a V5C with an age-related registration, “Historic” status (inc zero road tax) and the date of manufacture stated on the V5."

Fine carry on and advise of all when process completed,  however - my understanding is that it is not based on just a bare chassis to obtain an age-related registration (dealing with just a single consideration).   The  DVLA  have people pulling their hair out with their  "Guidance"  that is freely available on the internet with common application to all people / clubs / all  motor vehicle types   -  this seems to be contrary to what you are instructed by the  MVT.

9 minutes ago, steviem said:

Are these affectionately know has jeep salads? Seems to be quite a lot about so there must be a way of registering them. 

Hotchpotch / salads presented for  RTV registration today should be given a  Q  plate ,  of relative recent history this was not the case & status when attending shows is quite good - more a fun vehicle than a trailer queen.  Some people owning these 'salads' have every intention of swopping out the spurious components , over a period of time .  It's hardly financially viable , it depends on the owners aims. There is much more info. on internet , via. clubs , books now available that were not in the 1970's.   You could get to a stage of all Willys  or all Ford components , the  'rivet-counters' are now better informed of time-line changes to both Ford & Willys chassis & tubs  -  are all the parts correct to time-line also, again all down to aims & dedication.