'Full Zip'/'Officer' Denisons - a bit of a myth?

HierophantMilitaria

Hi there.

The Denison smock was, of course, issued en-masse to British Paratroopers in WW2. However, most models had a quarter zip. There are examples of field-modified models with full zips, often referred to as 'officer' Denisons, but enough of these exist to justify buying a repro one? I don't want to reenact in something that barely existed, but I must admit the full zip model is much more practical.

Thanks.

And other ranks:-

Denisons of either pattern issued to officers had woollen collar linings. By the time of the D-Day airdrops, some officers had had their jackets modified with a full length zip by their personal tailors, since this was not available on the issue item. Wartime photographs show that some other ranks had their smocks serviced the same way by the unit tailor. 

Source:-

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denison_smock

Huge numbers still in storage after the war were fitted with zips but generaly very rare for OR's to do it during the war.  If you are part of a group they will also have rules on what pattern of Denison to wear and acceptable manufacturers.  There is a lot of rubbish out there.

Edited by REME 245

12 hours ago, REME 245 said:

Huge numbers still in storage after the war were fitted with zips but generaly very rare for OR's to do it during the war.  If you are part of a group they will also have rules on what pattern of Denison to wear and acceptable manufacturers.  There is a lot of rubbish out there.

Your comment about rubbish , I suppose that is fabric and spurious designs ?  and poor stitchers  ?    I have always fancied a Denison (full zip)  ,  remembering the  1/4 zip anorak when I joined the scouts , but it had a zipped kangaroo pocket across the front - fine until I outgrew it - then a struggle to get into it.  The leather woggle found a home is a vase because the first task was to make a proper one out of deer antler ,, 

I remember reading a article about Denison smocks a few years ago - apparently the finest made by a firm at Redcar & they were  £  expensive so it was locked in memory.    Seems I need to do lots more research prior to purchase.

10 hours ago, ruxy said:

Your comment about rubbish , I suppose that is fabric and spurious designs ?  and poor stitchers  ?    I have always fancied a Denison (full zip)  ,  remembering the  1/4 zip anorak when I joined the scouts , but it had a zipped kangaroo pocket across the front - fine until I outgrew it - then a struggle to get into it.  The leather woggle found a home is a vase because the first task was to make a proper one out of deer antler ,, 

I remember reading a article about Denison smocks a few years ago - apparently the finest made by a firm at Redcar & they were  £  expensive so it was locked in memory.    Seems I need to do lots more research prior to purchase.

I am not quite what relation this has to my comment.  The MOD did retrofit some war-time Denisons with zips post-war and officers did whatever they wanted during the war if senior enough as proved in pictures. 

3 hours ago, REME 245 said:

I am not quite what relation this has to my comment.  The MOD did retrofit some war-time Denisons with zips post-war and officers did whatever they wanted during the war if senior enough as proved in pictures. 

If you could please expand on a 'rubbish' Denison for the unwary  ?    It would save me a load of time in research and probably ££

Unfortunately the old WW2 Renactors Forum which had a huge thread on the different repro Denisons has now fallen victim to FaceBook.   Frank Browns hand made Denisons are still considered to be the best if you have plenty of money but for an up to date view on other Denison's on the market I would suggest looking at the FB Links which have already been posted on ask your question on this on this page  https://www.facebook.com/groups/100651956749919

This is a good example of rubbish.    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/British-Army-WW2-1940s-Denison-Smock-Reproduction-Paratrooper-Airborne-Jacket/153742306525?hash=item23cbc16cdd:g:3ksAAOSwhEtd3~pe