CVR(T) CG and loading info

teletech

As I am working on setting up a transport truck for my CVR(T), I realize it would be greatly beneficial to know the nominal center of gravity for both the Spartan and Scorpion.  I'd also like to know what privately-owned vehicles weigh in practice (i.e. without a combat load of ordinance).

In my case, the Spartan is dieselized and the Scorpion is original.  Neither has and additional armoring, etc.

Pavl,

we have used a Dodge 5500 with a gooseneck float trailer with tandem axles and oil bath axles rather than greased ones fitted with electric trailer brakes and a jake brake.

We gauge them at 10 tons and go from there. Somehow we always seem to forget to go over a scale loaded it do the math.

We have used a tandem axle straight truck with beaver tail ramps and been within the vehicle CVWR.

I am not sure what the C of G has on your choices, it is gross load and truck and trailer weights that ministry of transport or your DOT are after in most cases, is C of G something they measure for stability?

I bought a ramp truck so I'd be more compact and maneuverable.  It's a single-axle truck, so where the CVR(T) sits will affect axle loading a fair amount.  There is a friendly scale in town, so I can weigh the empty truck on each axle then go get the CVR(T) and do it again but I'm also interested in taking the rig some places out in the sticks so I can play in the dirt, as such doing the stability calculations would be a prudent safety measure.

I can come sort-of close assuming the CVR(T) is a uniform density, which all things considered might not be too far off, but I know for US military hardware there is a big book with rigging information for pretty much every vehicle in the inventory complete with centers, weights, lifting points, and tie points.  I would have assumed such a thing existed for commonwealth vehicles as well and just hoped someone had a copy ready to hand.

Pavl,

it all depends on what the gross weight registered for the vehicle is more than anything else mate, check your total tires are rated to carry the gross load. You are correct in respect to fore and aft positioning but when DOT pulls you over thats when the fun will start regardless of C of G mate

God luck