Land rover paint code 72 + hitch colour

ianmaiden

Question

Hi every one I would like some help please on my paint code for my landrover. On the service card it say colour code 72 and scrapping threw the layers it has had nato green and bronze green from the factory. I cannot seem to find any refrence to the colour numbered 72. Also are the nato tow hitches ment to be red as I cannot understand why they should be.

Thanks for any advice.

9 answers to this question

This is a standard MoD paint code for Green (7) and Gloss(2) - suggesting that your Land Rover was painted Deep Bronze Green.  Later Land Rovers, from around 1979 had the code 76 which was green IRR.  During its service life, it is entirely probable that it would have been repainted in "NATO" green, probably with 1/3 of it being painted matt black in a disruptive pattern - hence black appearing in some places but not in others.

Regarding the tow hitch, strictly speaking, no it shouldn't be painted.  Some units were actually instructed to leave them in bare metal, but lightly greased, the idea being that a crack could be spotted - but, frankly, that wasn't particularly brilliant as cracks were no more visible once the grease had collected the dirt, unless, of course, the grease had already rubbed off onto your trouser leg!  Many, if not most, were supplied in black and simply left that way. Some tow hitches were painted red, either to make them look smarter for a parade, because the soldier with the tin of red paint in his hand was a bit bored, or because someone thought it a good idea to make it more obvious to save their shins!  You'll find similar done to lifting eyes, makers' nameplates and other detail at different times.  The nuts of split-rim wheels, however, were always supposed to be painted red.

Hope this helps

10 68

Edited by 10FM68
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, 10FM68 said:

This is a standard MoD paint code for Green (7) and Gloss(2) - suggesting that your Land Rover was painted Deep Bronze Green.  Later Land Rovers, from around 1979 had the code 76 which was green IRR.  During its service life, it is entirely probable that it would have been repainted in "NATO" green, probably with 1/3 of it being painted matt black in a disruptive pattern - hence black appearing in some places but not in others.

Regarding the tow hitch, strictly speaking, no it shouldn't be painted.  Some units were actually instructed to leave them in bare metal, but lightly greased, the idea being that a crack could be spotted - but, frankly, that wasn't particularly brilliant as cracks were no more visible once the grease had collected the dirt, unless, of course, the grease had already rubbed off onto your trouser leg!  Many, if not most, were supplied in black and simply left that way. Some tow hitches were painted red, either to make them look smarter for a parade, because the soldier with the tin of red paint in his hand was a bit bored, or because someone thought it a good idea to make it more obvious to save their shins!  You'll find similar done to lifting eyes, makers' nameplates and other detail at different times.  The nuts of split-rim wheels, however, were always supposed to be painted red.

Hope this helps

10 68

Brilliant info,Thanks very much thats been a great help

3 hours ago, ianmaiden said:

Brilliant info,Thanks very much thats been a great help

http://www.rlcarchive.org/Help/Acronyms#collapse3 Have a look at this link - it gives all the colour codes - CH for "champagne" anyone?  There is also a short list of other B Card-related abbreviations and further links to military abbreviations current and of WWII - quite handy, I think

10 68

Edited by 10FM68

Occasionally you can also find Bronze Green parts on a Nato Green Landrover, such as the upper bulkhead on my 1980 Lwt. No doubt , when it needed replacing, a Bronze Green one was still on the shelf in stores and that got used, after which it was given a splash of Nato Green to make it match the rest.

Edited by LarryH57

On 27/11/2017 at 7:45 PM, ianmaiden said:

Hi every one I would like some help please on my paint code for my landrover. On the service card it say colour code 72 and scrapping threw the layers it has had nato green and bronze green from the factory. I cannot seem to find any refrence to the colour numbered 72. Also are the nato tow hitches ment to be red as I cannot understand why they should be.

Thanks for any advice.

You are more likely to see the hitch top latch painted red on a Royal Marines Rover - my understanding is to make it more visible under water for getting a rope on.

NATO pintles were being left in Dixon-Bate red oxide primer , to give some protection & appear smart when new.  The idea would be to 'magnetic particle crack test'  , probably several + in one go.  You would aerosol spray the white background "highlighter" around the hook bowl , then use a transformer & yoke (permanent magnets would not be a approved NDT procedure).

After testing (application of magnetic ink) , providing a pass - no crack(s) - then a aerosol cleaner would be sprayed on and a quick wipe with a cloth - you would never know anybody had been searching for 'developing-fractures' - the word 'crack' not being approved at one time in history.

Edited by ruxy