Bradley MH35 trailer coupling

Can any of the many knowledgeable and helpful people here tell me if it is normal and correct to be able to move the lunette in and out freely by hand on an MH35 coupling (the kind used on wide-track Sankey trailers etc), or if there is supposed to be a spring or friction damper built into it?

I have just sold one I have had kicking around for a while which I believe to be in excellent condition and full working order, but the buyer (not a member of this forum)has pointed out that it is defective because the shaft moves freely and that "the internal spring is broken". I don't think that there is an internal spring, however.

Better yet does anyone have a exploded diagram or parts list they could post?

If there is a problem with it I will of course refund the payment.

Many thanks.

normal_IMG_20160805_185558-01.jpg

normal_IMG_20160805_185558-01.jpg

Edited by utt61

Well, things have moved on a bit since I asked the question above.

Firstly there seem to be two different types of Bradley MH35 coupling, one has the manaul reversing lock-out and is used on the widetrack Sankey and similar trailers, and the other - later - version has no reversing lock-out and is used on the later Penman type trailers with auto-reverse brakes.

My coupling is definitely defective, the unit should provide a hydraulic damped effect, so there should be controlled resistance to the movement of the lunette shaft, so the unfortunate buyer is returning it to me and I will make a full refund.

Bradley (now of course Al-Ko Bradley) has been less than useless though polite, and seems to have no knowledge that the former Bradley part of the business ever made such a coupling, have no idea how it works, and are adamant that they certainly cannot suppley spares etc. In fact the impression I get is not so much that Bradley's business has been absorbed into Al-Ko, it is more that Bradley has been extirpated completely! I have no idea who, if anyone, supports and provides spares for the in-service trailers.

I have also been unable to find any information onlin about the maintenance etc of this type of hitch. Although there are Sankey trailer manuals online, the only ones I can find only seem to cover the older spring overrun coupling of the type used on narrow-track trailers. It is most frustrating.

If anyone knows of a source of a manual for a wide-track trailer with hydraulic damped overrun coupling I would be delighted to hear of it.

Many thanks.