Ferret ignition problem

njjeeper

Im trying to get the ferret ready for a parade this weekend and I have a stubborn plug fouling issue. Whats strange is it only happens on the rear 3 cylinders(closest to radiator). Those 3 plugs are very sooty and foul at idle. Revving the engine high and holding it there gets them firing again. The front 3 plugs have a nice light brown coating when pulled and never foul. Does anyone know what the back 3 cyliners share that the front 3 dont? Does one set of points control them while the other set of points does the front? Is this a points sync issue?

Any help would be much appreciated!!

Im trying to get the ferret ready for a parade this weekend and I have a stubborn plug fouling issue. Whats strange is it only happens on the rear 3 cylinders(closest to radiator). Those 3 plugs are very sooty and foul at idle. Revving the engine high and holding it there gets them firing again. The front 3 plugs have a nice light brown coating when pulled and never foul. Does anyone know what the back 3 cyliners share that the front 3 dont? Does one set of points control them while the other set of points does the front? Is this a points sync issue?

Any help would be much appreciated!!

Sounds more like one of the idle mixture screws on the carb is not set right. Don't forget the carb is in effect two carbs. Two idle mixture screws on the base of the carb.

Thanks Richard! I did adjust them to manual specs and they are equal turns out. Im not sure what else to adjust there. Is the intake manifold split all the way down to the head so that the 2 sections of the carb dont work together at all? Its just such a stark difference from from front cylinders to back!

Start at equal turns then tweak each screw until the engine runs smoothly. The screws will interact with each other.

Diana

Thanks Richard! I did adjust them to manual specs and they are equal turns out. Im not sure what else to adjust there. Is the intake manifold split all the way down to the head so that the 2 sections of the carb dont work together at all? Its just such a stark difference from from front cylinders to back!

Problem is it runs smooth now....until the plugs foul and it starts to misfire. So there is no way to adjust those screws based on engine running. It runs great until the plugs foul....super frustrating!

Based on the firing order it looks like 1 set of points is triggering those 3 cylinders while the other set does the clean 3. I will test that theory later today....

Found 1 set of points really dirty. I thought I cleaned them before but after taking them out, I saw that I wasn't thorough. Burnished both sets and drove it around today. No missfire so far but the real test is the parade tomorrow. Does anyone know how many people it takes to push a Ferret off the when it breaks down? :)