How loud should a Ferret be inside while driving?

njjeeper

So I finally got the Ferret out on the road. The balky distributor cap is behaving well enough to keep all 6 cyl running as long as I clean it before I run it.

My question is, how loud should it be inside? To me, its worse than my M35A2 and that required full hearing protection to drive. It sounds like a lot of straight cut gears but its really high pitched and harsh. I end up gear changing early just because of the noises it makes at high RPM. I know you cant hear it through the internet, but any insights from people who have driven one on the normal noise level I should expect?

Pic from kids soccer practice yesterday :)

20160424_121635.jpg

TJ

The High Noise levels in a Ferret being driven, for the reasons stated by Richard. Are indeed normal!

Which is why, there is an internal communication facility fitted. Between Driver & Commander, through the headphones & Microphone assembly.

As a Paradox, if you stand outside of a ferret. & watch & Hear one go by you, in say 3rd or 4th gear.

They are AMAZINGLY Quiet!....

Which is Exactly what you want, with a close recon vehicle! ;)

Jim,

Post photos of the radio kit then we can tell you what it all is, and how useful.

What you really really want are ANR headsets (automatic noise reduction) which go with gold fronted Clansman boxes.

Gordon

Hi Gordon, Here goes!! p.s Are the boxes on the top of the radio the ANR ones?

Cheers

Jim

PICT0471.jpg

PICT0472.jpg

PICT0473.jpg

PICT0474.jpg

PICT0475.jpg

PICT0476.jpg

PICT0477.jpg

Your radios are Larkspur, but the two gold-faced boxes in the first pic are Clansman ANR. The loose stuff is a mixture of both. My guess is that the larkspur doesn't work and the Clansman is the actual intercom. Plug the helmets into the round ports on the bottom of the boxes and you should be in business.

In the top photo the two gold top boxes are Clansman, an IB3 and a Crew Box. The IB3 can control three radios and more importantly has the Intercom (IC) amplifier in it. The crew box is as it says, it allows a crewman to plug his headset into the system and then use any or the radios and/or the IC.

The rest on the kit is all Larkspur, the radio system which preceded Clansman. There are the IC boxes there as well as the radio bits. It uses valves not semiconductors and is very power hungry. The radio itself is a C42 or a C45. They have overlapping frequency ranges and your could be either. This link has the info to tell which one you have. http://www.wftw.nl/larkspur.html  As to which IC system is actually in use, you need to start following wiring.

As to the helmets etc, there is a mix of Clansman and Larkspur there, mainly Clansman. Also I think there is an 88 Set, pre-Larkspur manpack short range.

Should you want to get rid of the Larkspur kit, I might be interested depending on which radio it is.

Regards,

Gordon

03BB33 - Mk1 Ferret

Thank you Starfire and Gordon,

Really good of you to educate me :). Gordon, thats a great site you listed, I can now find out which radio it is and report back. I know the radio powers up(2 red lights glow and it hums!). Is it legal to use these radios?, not that they would be anyone to talk to I assume!

Cheers

Jim.

Jim,

You can't use the radio without a licence. The only licence you could get is an amateur radio licence which would let you use the C4x but not the 88, if it is an 88 I saw.

The amateur licence nowadays comes in three levels, foundation, intermediate and full. Each step up gives you more privileges, power levels, frequencies etc. The foundation licence is limited to 10 watts which means you would only be able to use the low power setting of your C4x. The good news is that you can do a short course with most amateur radio clubs and take the exam, often all within one weekend. There is next to no radio knowledge required at foundation level, it is more about operating safely. Be aware that there is debate about foundation licencees using ex-mil equipment, so claim it is not allowed. Best to put a bit of effort in and do the intermediate licence as well.

I should also point out that the Cxx is not the best choice for either talking to your chums in their vehicles, or amateur radio in general as it is AM (amplitude modulated) which is old technology and it will only talk to other radios of a similar vintage. This is a bit of a generalisation but you get my drift. Most Clansman is FM as is all amateur gear nowadays for short range work. And Clansman won't flatten your batteries when static!

Have a google for amateur radio clubs in your area and get in touch with some.

Myself, I have a full licence and an interest in WW2 kit which is compatable with the C4x, hence my interest if you should want to get rid of it.

Regards,

Gordon

Correct Gordon, it is an 88, also radio is a C42. Tomorrow I will have a play to see if I can do anything with the ANR IC. Whereabouts are you?

Thanks

Jim

WS88 is a (dry) battery powered infantry set. It's 4-channel crystal controlled FM in the 38-42 MHz range and does not cover any usable frequencies.

SR C42 is also FM and covers 36 - 60 MHz . It's fully tunable, though rather wideband by modern amateur radio standards. It can be used on the 10 metre amateur radio band (50 - 52 MHz) if you hold a suitable (Intermediate or Full) licence.

Chris

Jim,

Just seen Chris's post. He is of course correct and I was wrong when I said the C42 was AM. I was thinking of it's compatriot the C11, also Larkspur. As he says it covers the 6m amateur band which on FM is hardly used at all, down here at any rate.

Gordon