Scorpion re-assembly. Gearbox dipstick, fire wire cables and bleeding air...

BRDM Driver

Just putting my Scorp back together after sorting the gearbox oil seal.

Does anyone know the correct position of the gearbox dipstick tube to the stub on the gearbox? They are joined with a length of hose and the position of the tubes in the hose sets the dipstick level, so should the tubes touch inside the joint hose or should there be a gap?

Also does anyone know where the 2 wires from the engine fire detection junction box go. They pass through the bulkhead and go via a junction to a relay box. I'm not 100% sure I have one of those?

I have the cable from the engine box that ends in 2 bullet connectors.

Lastly, any tricks to bleeding the air out of the cooling system. I found the 5 bleed valves (2 on the rad, 1 in the middle of the pipe running over the engine, 1 in the heater feed and 1 on the end of the engine, on the end of a braided hose.)

The pipe on the cold side (exit) of the rad seems to have a bit of air in, as you can hear the water sloshing about when you squash it.

Cheers!

The relay box is on the left hand side of the Drivers Instrument Panel, it should have a reset button and 5 amp fuse on its front.

The 2 wires terminate in a 5 way flying plug A and B of the plug, also connected to the plug is a buzzer or alarm, pins C and D, The power for the box comes direct off the vehicle batteries (personally I would use a fused lead), the positive and negative terminate in a 2 pin flying socket ON top of the relay box. The feed to the annunciation that flashes the light on the remote indicator unit comes from the bottom of the relay box via a 2 pin flying plug pin A.

There are 4 air bleed screws, 2 on the radiator, one on the pipe across the top of the engine and one at the rear of the heat exchanger or oil cooler. Let as much air out as you can, and then run the engine, more air will bleed off as the coolant expands, be careful not to overheat the engine with the Air inlet covers raised, and do not run the engine at all with the radiator up, unless absolutely imperative.

Diana

Just putting my Scorp back together after sorting the gearbox oil seal.

Does anyone know the correct position of the gearbox dipstick tube to the stub on the gearbox? They are joined with a length of hose and the position of the tubes in the hose sets the dipstick level, so should the tubes touch inside the joint hose or should there be a gap?

Also does anyone know where the 2 wires from the engine fire detection junction box go. They pass through the bulkhead and go via a junction to a relay box. I'm not 100% sure I have one of those?

I have the cable from the engine box that ends in 2 bullet connectors.

Lastly, any tricks to bleeding the air out of the cooling system. I found the 5 bleed valves (2 on the rad, 1 in the middle of the pipe running over the engine, 1 in the heater feed and 1 on the end of the engine, on the end of a braided hose.)

The pipe on the cold side (exit) of the rad seems to have a bit of air in, as you can hear the water sloshing about when you squash it.

Cheers!