D H Vampire Conversion.

BillyH

Question

4 answers to this question

Does anyone recall a project to convert D H Vampires to civil executive jets. Sounds daft in this day and age, reported on some serious TV programme Probably in black and white.

BillyH

Yes, I do.

From memory is involved a new fuselage fitted to the booms and tail section of the Vampires.

Professor Google produced this, http://www.vintagewings.ca/VintageNews/Stories/tabid/116/articleType/ArticleView/articleId/444/Vampires-of-Las-Vegas.aspx.

Various proposals dated from the 60s, 70s and 80s, by which time the Vampires would be quite mature.

It's interesting that Aviation Traders, based in Southend-on-Sea and creators of the Carvair conversions were involved.

As you see, the manufacturer had 'form' in military to civilian conversions.

Hope this helps.

JH

Edited by jchinuk

Talking to my Dad last night, he thinks the model of this conversion was on display at the now defunct Southend Aircraft Museum, not entirely surprising given the connection with Aviation Traders and the initial design and fabrication. Most of the full size ex-Southend exhibits were re-located to other museums, I wonder if the model survives?

jh

Thanks chaps, so I'm not going balmy . Looks an interesting clean shape. I worked at Aviation Traders Southend in the early 70's, Carvair was much spoken of but no mention of Vampires.

It would be a good project for a model .