Daimler dingo sun compass

MartinN

There is a pic of the Howard version at http://hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/showthread.php?52450-More-bits-from-my-late-father-s-collection-for-ID-and-valuation&highlight=sun+compass (I do still have it). If you want I can do some better photos and measurements to help build a copy. They are on e-Bay item 391319045647 at present although the price seems high to me!

Iain

Edited by g0ozs

I have a Cole Pattern that is in fairly good order with 2 gomens and a functional spirt level. I'll dig it out some time and get you some photos.

Oh, never mind. Here's some photos of one I have on my Harddrive. This unit is not mine but some photos from online some time back that I snagged for reference. But they get the job done for this thread's purposes.

As you can see there's a few extra parts for these. There are extra shadow pointers and the rods (gomens) that stick in the center and in the 180° line (or the edge pointer). The spare gomens store in a spring closed box on the underside of the compass with the spare shadow pointer under the spring loaded tabs.

How the crew was supposed to safely store it when not using it is beyond me as it's a bulky item. I guess yet another thing that sat in a case on a wing eh?

09082008514.jpg

09082008512.jpg

09082008513.jpg

09082008512.jpg

09082008513.jpg

09082008514.jpg