Commer Q4 AFS hoselayer manuals

DINGODOUG

I have just bought a 1954 Q4 hoselayer about which I know nothing. Does anyone have any manuals or parts lists spare or know of sources?. It is.in immaculate condition but has a charging fault. It is quite different from the Army Q4 in many ways and there is limited read across from the MOD publications.

The generator doesnt seem to be producing much output and the charging light tays on. Ive cleaned the regulator contacts and flashed the field but the problem remains. Any ideas?

Thanks

Doug

It is quite different from the Army Q4 in many ways and there is limited read across from the MOD publications.

Doug have you got any of Army publications?

Army

Generator Lucas C45 PV5

Regulator Lucas RB106/s

Civilian

Generator Lucas C45 PV-4L/O

Regulator Lucas 95/2 Type L4

When I say civilian it is just that I don't know whether Home Office contracts differed.

• 2 weeks later...
Doug have you got any of Army publications?

Army

Generator Lucas C45 PV5

Regulator Lucas RB106/s

Civilian

Generator Lucas C45 PV-4L/O

Regulator Lucas 95/2 Type L4

When I say civilian it is just that I don't know whether Home Office contracts differed.

Hi Clive, All I have is the military parts list which only covers the basics. The cooling system is different completely as is the charging system, I think the regulator is a CAV model 202 but cant see the model no of the dynamo.

The charging problem is intermittent and there doesnt seem to be a cause.

Hi Clive, All I have is the military parts list which only covers the basics. The cooling system is different completely as is the charging system, I think the regulator is a CAV model 202 but cant see the model no of the dynamo.

The charging problem is intermittent and there doesnt seem to be a cause.

Sorry but working from a tablet and making a hash of it. The charging light sometimes goes out and you can hear the regulator making a loud noise. The rest of the truck is in great original shape and the vacuum brakes are surprisingly good

Sadly have te sell my ex-REME Morris MRA1 to make room as the Q4 has such a long body and I need the space.

Regards

Doug

Doug can you take a picture of the regulator & with the cover off? It might be a comparable version of the civilian one & in that case there is a reasonable amount of fault-finding in the workshop manual I can post up.

• 1 month later...
Doug can you take a picture of the regulator & with the cover off? It might be a comparable version of the civilian one & in that case there is a reasonable amount of fault-finding in the workshop manual I can post up.

Hi Clive and thanks for the help. I think the problem has been sorted as I decided to convert back to Positive earth which I suspected was the original polarity. Once I flashed the field the system settled down and the ignition light goes out as it should. Why this happened I don't understand as I had flashed the field when it was negative earth but it made no difference. Ho hum. The truck is great to drive and has already been to one show where it was much admired even in its present scruffy state.

Thanks again

Doug