Painting Camo?

Richard Grosvenor

Hello

What's the best way to apply camo pattern to a MV?

Reason for asking is I have recently brought an Ex-MOD workshop communications trailer. It is presently white, I am going to spray the green base first but I am unsure whether to spray the black or brush it. Also is there a standard pattern used by British MOD or is it just down to how artistic the painter is?

Many Thanks

Richard

I'm afraid small things like two-wheeled trailers should not be painted in disruptive black. They should be left just NATO IRR Green as laid down in Materiel Regulations for the Army Vol 2, Vehicles & Technical Equipment Pamphlet No.3, Painting of Army Veicles, Aircraft & Equipment. Army Code No.60503. Appendix 1 to Annex B.

Yes I know sometimes they do it but they shouldn't! Nearly 50% of in service vehicles have theUnion sticker on the wrong side. And you see wheel nuts painted white, regulations specifically forbid this but they still do it!

Our Spartan was brush painted black... it should be 2/3 green 1/3 black. I have seen some of those trailers sprayed green/black too. We've had 2 of them, I guess you've got an ABDR (Aircraft Battle Damage Repair) kit, rather than a comms trailer?

Well, I've just had another look at the Withams photos on Chris's site and all the Tool trailers are just plain green, so if there is ever a "pub quiz" on here I want to be on Clive's team!

What side should the Union Flag be on by the way? :? :oops:

What is the difference between a ABDR (Aircraft Battle Damage Repair) kit and a Comms trailer?

Cheers

Richard

Richard,

The trailers were originally designed and built to house communications equipment, for instance ours was a radio relay station. In the early 80's, I guess with the introduction of Clansman, they were withdrawn from service.

The RAF took them and they were converted to Aircraft Battle Damage Repair kits. These varied between squadron and role. We have one which was used by 41 Squadron, who operate Jaguar. It was a sheet metal repair trailer, and still had some of the equipment, including sheets of aluminium, in it when we bought it.

They are very interesting, and useful trailers. We just sold our second one, but you could quite easily start a collection purely of these trailers, as they are all different.

Cheers,

Chris

CRTrailerjpg.jpg

This is it with first coat applied. Finish coat will be satin finish

you could quite easily start a collection purely of these trailers, as they are all different.

Thats quite a good idea! And having a towing hitch on the back several could be towed at same time! :lol:

How many trailers can you legally tow with one vehicle?

Regards

Richard

Doin a good job there, what method did you chose, i'm wondering because

ive been use a roller and ive found that it gives a much better finish than

brush, and you dont get streaks/brush marks or brissles in the paint, also is quicker and uses much less paint and is easier to touch up scratches.

I'm quite lucky, we live on site but the workshop is a fair way from any neigbours. They don't seem to mind to much anyway they quite like the vehicles. Even though one of them calls my loverly ZIL 131 a septic tank wagon! :?

Yes, I think the Ferret will be next to be resprayed. I think that will be very rewarding as the paint now on it is so matt it always looks dirty.

Cheers

Richard.

That always helps having understanding neigbours, are you keeping the ferret it the same scheme? or changing it, a mate has a turretless ferret

and thats in sand and green and it stands out very nicely against the rest of the green MVs, either way i'm sure yours will be good.

I can't make my mind up on the colour. I really like the sand and green scheme, but most people, even if they have no interest in MV's, know that sand and the upturned triangle is a Gulf War colour scheme. So it will probably stay like this.

I am thinking of removing the ladder and refitting a set of side lockers. No doubt if I decide to do this the entire nations supply of Ferret side lockers will dry up and I will have to spend a fortune having a set made. Or I'll get a set in really good condition for hardly any money and they won't fit :x

Does any one know the were abouts of some lockers?

Regards

Richard

Richard,

The large side bin is the hardest to find, Marcus had some bashed about ones, otherwise it's finding a used one and repairing it. The bin next to the exhaust is the next hardest, I had the last one from Banistes and it needed tidying. The others are easier to find, again try Richard Banister, he will be much cheaper than Marcus Glenn.

Chris

Hello

I haven't put an ad on MILWEB yet but I will soon, but I did have a little phone around today and was shocked at how much people want for them. And there don't seem to be full sets available.

So, as I'm tight and like welding I'll probably make some. I think it will be easier to make some from scratch than to repair badly rusted and dented ones.

Cheers

Richard

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Our Spartan was brush painted black... it should be 2/3 green 1/3 black.

What he said. ;o)

FWIW in seven BAOR winters in the late 70s - early 80s, we got "Winter Cam" (a bucket of whitewash and a small square of white cam net) for our Scorpions for ONE exercise.

We were instructed to paint the white over half the green, leaving a pattern 1/3 green, 1/3 black, 1/3 white.