Jeep 50mm ball hitch

fayjo56

Does anyone have experience of fitting a 50mm ball hitch to a Jeep? I assume the M38 hitch hole spacing is the same as a Nato hitch, which would be different hole sizing to a standard 50mm ball? I have seen the combined nato/ball but had perhaps a small drop plate in mind, is there anything available out there? I am only looking to tow a small trailer tent.

Easiest answer is to cut a plate that fits existing holes then mount the ball to that. Nothing altered on the Jeep and can be converted back easily. The other answer is what I have done on my Disco , mount a Dixon Bates hitch, then hook , NATO or ball can be on seperate plates, fit as required.

I assume the M38 hitch hole spacing is the same as a Nato hitch, which would be different hole sizing to a standard 50mm ball?

The bolt spacing is not identical on Jeep and British NATO hitches. The way I have seen 50mm balls on Jeeps is to use a steel drop plate drilled for the US pattern crossmember holes at the top and, just below the crossmember, drilled for the two bolts of the 50mm towball. In fact one of my Mahindras (which is the same as Willys Jeep spacing) has just such a droplate while others have M38A1 jaws (because LR ones didn't line up).

JC